Suggestions on a Chop Saw

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I bought a chop saw on impulse the other day at an auction. I got a heck of a deal on it except for the fact that the armature gears are completely stripped off. The replacement part will cost $108 plus shipping. In the spirit of "You win some, you lose some" this one definately counts as "You lose some."

So, now I have it in my head that I need a chop saw that works, and I'm hoping to get some opinions from the forum. What chop saws have you liked? What saws have you not liked? Why?

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #2  
farmer, I've got a Milwaukee and really like it. I've forgotten what the amp rating on it is and HP. I'm sure it's around 10 amps or more. I like a tool that you can put a little force (within reason) on and it keeps working.:D

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #3  
farmer, I've got a Milwaukee and really like it. I've forgotten what the amp rating on it is and HP. I'm sure it's around 10 amps or more. I like a tool that you can put a little force (within reason) on and it keeps working.:D

Older US built Milwaukee's are very good. Chinese Milwaukees are no better than average.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #4  
I bought a chop saw on impulse the other day at an auction. I got a heck of a deal on it except for the fact that the armature gears are completely stripped off. The replacement part will cost $108 plus shipping. In the spirit of "You win some, you lose some" this one definately counts as "You lose some."

So, now I have it in my head that I need a chop saw that works, and I'm hoping to get some opinions from the forum. What chop saws have you liked? What saws have you not liked? Why?

I like my Ryobi compound miter saw with laser from Home Depot.
Previously, I used a $139 compound miter saw with laser from Harbor Freight. Used it for 4 years with no problems. Finally retired it when the plastic on the safety shield cracked at one of the fasterner holes.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #6  
I like my Ryobi compound miter saw with laser from Home Depot.
Previously, I used a $139 compound miter saw with laser from Harbor Freight. Used it for 4 years with no problems. Finally retired it when the plastic on the safety shield cracked at one of the fasterner holes.

I think the OP is referring to Metal "chop saws". I have a Ridgid one from Home Cheapot that works pretty good.

When shopping for one...look for a cast base vs. a stamped steel base, and also the clamps...

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #7  
I have a makita chopsaw. Works good. It was down to this and a milwalkee. THey were approx the same price but the makita had a bonus grinder, so i bought it instead.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #8  
I'm with Kennyd thinking the question was metal cutting! I've got a Ryobi that my son was given. 14" cut-off wheel. I like it lots! Absolutely no 'play' in the piviot point, cuts true! ~Scotty

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #9  
I bought a 14" chop-saw at HF 3 years ago and it has been a good saw for the price.

It was on sale for $79.99 & i had a 20% off coupon.

I just went to HF last week and stocked up on grinding wheels, cut off wheels & chop saw wheels.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices