Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level?

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #1  

Blueridgecabin

hope someone can help me, I am replacing an old split rail fence, post were set 10 ft apart, We live on a mountain so I put in 1/2 round in the same hole, so I didnot have to deal with a big machine, knowing of the waste. Figured I could use the left over to face the other side Maybe. BUT my ??? is the small area of 200+ feet is on a gradual hill, So do I make the boards horizonal to the ground or true level.??? This is sorta what I was thinking, when I looked at our other fences I took a stick and marked the spacing of the 3 wooden boards, then went over to the new post-put the bottom of the stick on the ground and marked the post. Next I ran a string to each one. It goes uphill gradually. It looks like all the boards would be the same distance off the ground. But when i put a string level on it the level bubble is on the upper side ( up hill side) cause of the gradual grade of the hill.
AM I completly wrong or will this look bad as the boards are not true level( I don't know if I have said it correctly) as this is in front of our home near the road. It does not hold in any animals, just decorative to match the rest of the 5 acres we have fenced. I dont know how they did it and we are trying to do it ourselves without playing Pete & Repete.
Please help us.
Blueridgecabin

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #2  
Are you doing it the way it was? You must have a picture if so then copy it!

Am I missing something?

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level?
Thank you for your reply, the previous fence that was there was an old split rail fence that kept falling down & apart. The fence I am trying to match is on more level ground. There is an area uphill and the boards on the split rail were not at the same heighth, an no I did not measure them and the post are now gone to our local dump, so all I have to go by is our existing fences and some that go up hill in the rear of the property.
I was hoping someone out there who had fenced property with hills could answer me with some suggestions. I dont know whether to start at the top of the hill and work down ????? when putting on the boards as I will be doing the hammering with another board as a brace.
I guess by now you can I tell, this is not my line of work, I am a retired cancer treatment team (radiation therapist) who loved my patients dearly, and now am trying to make ends meet at home by learning to do things myself with a little help from my husband, when he is not sent away on who know what with the goverment,- and the help of very generous 76 yearold who has limited abilities. Any help, shortcuts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to get this done right the first time
Blueridgecabin

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #4  
I think running the boards parallel to the ground might be the proper way?:confused:

Check out some fence pictures on the net.

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #5  
I think you have choices depending on what look you like, as in the pics below :eek:

Attachments

• Fence hill.jpg
    Fence hill.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,365
   / Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #6  
I have always followed the contour of the ground, looks better to me than the examples of stair step. Stair steps are a royal pain to build.

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #7  
Do it the way that pleases YOU, because you're the one that will have to look at it, but I think parallel to the ground is more common.

Just my 2.1¢.

Dave

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #8  
I checked out some fences in prep for doing mine & what seemed to look best was -

if the grade is consistent, follow the contour of the ground
if the grade constantly changes, go with the stair step pattern

I didn't happen to see any fences where the 2 styles were mixed.

If mine ever gets built, I'll follow the grade of my gently sloping ground.

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level? #9  
I'd do posts plumb, rails parallel to the ground. Looks right. And easiest.

/ Fence boards on a hill ? how to level to the road/land or true level?
Charles ? wow if we had a big tractor and a post hole attachment (envy) the post would be 8ft centers :). But am I doing it right by measuring up from the bottom of the ground 14" enought to clear the riding lawn more deck on each plumb post. ( i think this will give the gradual contour of the ground)
My rough sawn oak boards come Friday.
Another ??? suggestions is do I use a nail gun, What size nails for a 1 X6x approx 10 to 11 ft boards after each cut to meet them match in the middle of east post/ or do I use screws ??? Do I need to drill a starter hole to try to keep the wood from spiltting ?
Blueridge cabin::