Brush Cutter Project

/ Brush Cutter Project #1  

shaun2733

Tractor
case loaders, workmaster,
We started work on the cutter yesterday here is where we are to date. Hope to try it out this weekend!

bc2.jpg
[/IMG]

bc1.jpg
[/IMG]

/ Brush Cutter Project #2  
Nice build. Whats machine is it going on?

Keep the pics coming.

/ Brush Cutter Project #3  
Looks real good. What size gearbox did you use?

Mike

/ Brush Cutter Project #4  
Very, very nice! Give us some details on the size, steel thickness, etc! Looks like my stump grinder's 40hp gear-box! Are you going to beat the manufactured price of one using all new steel? Looks like you've got a 'discount' source in that "BIG" garage you've got!! :D ~Scotty

Oh yeah, welcome to TBN, and I wish new members would fill in their profile! (hint)!!

/ Brush Cutter Project #5  
Nice job Shaun, have you started on the pan/cross bar setup ?

/ Brush Cutter Project #6  
Looks very nice - oh to have welding skill... The only trouble I see is that the PTO shaft may rub against the front superstructure of the mower in certain situations. If all of your mowing is flat, you should be fine - but in hilly terrain (we back over hillsides, etc) when the front of mower is low and the rear is high, you may have an issue.
Good luck!
Mike

/ Brush Cutter Project #7  
It looks to be for a skid steer. If so he'll operate it with hydraulics so shouldn't be any obstruction. Very nice fabrication, Shaun. I see what you mean by having a fab shop and all the tools to do the job! (If it's you I'm thinking of).

Jay

/ Brush Cutter Project
Thanks Guys! as for specs. we used a 75hp Grizzley Gear box and the motor is a char-lynn 6.2, the cutter is 5' wide by 6' long the "body" is 1/4" plate, i used a heavy duty stump jumper plate with two blades bought of the shelf.

We are hooking it up tomorrow I have a bird field to cut in this weekend so hopefully it will all work out. As far as beating the price of buying one,,,,well as you can see some parts of my plant in the pictures I have all the tools to do this type of work so yes i can beat the price of one of the other name brands out there. I played with the ideal of making some for sell but the insurance guy liked to blew a fuse!

This one will work on one of my skid steers so no worry with the PTO rubbing.

Will post more details after the breakin this weekend, pending the rain!

Thanks Guys!

/ Brush Cutter Project
~Scotty

Oh yeah, welcome to TBN, and I wish new members would fill in their profile! (hint)!![/QUOTE]

Profile is up! nothing special just an ol'country boy :)

/ Brush Cutter Project #10  
I cant buy any heavy duty brush hogs in Holland because nobody makes them over here. (only commercial flail mowers which are expensive)
So i've been playing with the idea of building one as well.

Did you buy a dedicated brush hog gearbox for it, or is it an industrial unit ? I have trouble finding a gearbox that can take the hp, maybe i need to find an old rotavator to take it off. A rake or tedder gearbox certainly wont last long with this duty cycle...