Prototype sod cutter

/ Prototype sod cutter #11  
I yanked out some big shrubs in front of my mothers house. I needed to add dirt to bring the sod level up to the height of a short retaining wall. It was easier to leave the dirt on the sod rather than haul in and level more loose dirt.
I also wanted to assure that the sod would live. I mowed it before cutting. That was last week. Durn stuff needs mowing already.
Because it is a prototype I didn't slot the mounting holes to adjust the thickness, but you are right. I took more dirt than necessary.

I know this thread is old. I came across it while searching for ideas on cutting up some sod in my yard so I could do the same thing, that is raise a section of the lawn up by lifting the sod and placing about 6-8 inches of fill, then lay the sod back down again.

I wonder if this idea might work better as a 3 point attachment and just let the sod lay back down, then go back and cut to 10 foot lengths which is about as much as you would want to carry. Any time I have bought sod it has been in 10 foot lengths. You would have better visibility too I think than you do working up front of the tractor. On a compact or sub this would seem to be the way to go. Also have better depth control.