Prototype sod cutter

/ Prototype sod cutter #1  

Sprocket1

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2305 JD5205
Hopefully these pics will post for me. This is only a prototype. The next one will be made as one detachable assembly.

Attachments

• 100_4287.JPG
    100_4287.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,734
  • 100_4291.JPG
    100_4291.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 4,355
  • 100_4292.JPG
    100_4292.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 5,017
  • IMG00111.jpg
    IMG00111.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 6,462
   / Prototype sod cutter #3  
Sprocket,

Appears to work great!

Last edited:
   / Prototype sod cutter #4  
Outstanding work!

I need one of those for an upcoming yard project, but probably couldn't get it fabbed up soon enough.

Nice, simple, effective design.

Thanks for posting.

/ Prototype sod cutter
Thanks for the compliments. I hope someone sees the pics and improves on the theory. I am open to suggestions. It occured to me that it would mount on a bucket just as easily as forks. The discs are salvaged from my son-in-laws grain drill. I think new cost is around $20 per blade. He replaced all 46 blades. Needless to say I have a bunch of spares. Maybe I can find a use for some of them on other projects.
My intention was to roll up the sod with my big tractor and dump the roll into my loader bucket on my 2305. It would be able to get into tighter places.
If anyone builds a sod cutter similar to this be sure and remember that cut sod gets really heavy quickly. It doesn' take very many square feet to weigh a bunch.
Thanks again.
BTW, if you leave the curved bars off the cut sod will actually slide over the back of the fork frame and lay back down in the trench. One might be able to pick sections of sod up with a regular loader bucket.

Last edited:
   / Prototype sod cutter #6  
Nice design work, you could make some money!

/ Prototype sod cutter #7  
nice idea! sometimes the best working implements has fewest parts but heavy duty moving parts that lasts and lasts. I can envision having hydralics to push the sod off, a cutter to cut the sod when finished cutting a roll. I have a question though- can you acutally see whats happening from your seat, but just see the top of the rolling sod ?

/ Prototype sod cutter
Thanks. It is a little hard to see. I have to lean over slightly. Ground speed is very slow so it is really not a problem. I think my 2305 would be able to handle this contraption with no strain. That would make visibility better.
One could keep adding options to make this work even better. Fun project to think about and fabrication costs shouldn't be much.

/ Prototype sod cutter #9  
If anyone builds a sod cutter similar to this be sure and remember that cut sod gets really heavy quickly. It doesn' take very many square feet to weigh a bunch.

It appears you are taking more soil than necessary if the use is intended for normal sod harvesting. If you have it set for that depth for another reason such as cutting a flower bed then it may make sense.

Oh yeah what very slick idea!

/ Prototype sod cutter
I yanked out some big shrubs in front of my mothers house. I needed to add dirt to bring the sod level up to the height of a short retaining wall. It was easier to leave the dirt on the sod rather than haul in and level more loose dirt.
I also wanted to assure that the sod would live. I mowed it before cutting. That was last week. Durn stuff needs mowing already.
Because it is a prototype I didn't slot the mounting holes to adjust the thickness, but you are right. I took more dirt than necessary.