Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ?????

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #1  

mcd176

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800HD / Kubota B2150
For my cab build I was planning on running my heater hoses from the engine compartment and then up the center post of my cab to the roof where my fan and heater core is, do you guys think that I will loose too much heat by doung this?

I suspect that the factory cabs are ran the same way since the heater is in the roof of the cab as well or am I mistaken?

I considered mounting it like the CURTIS brand heaters right next to the door but that will block my view out of the lower window.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Mike

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #2  
Nope, might be a little tough to prime but we have run about same length in our service trucks at work with plenty of heat.

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ?????
Thanks Willl

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #4  
Mike-

I am building a cab similar to yours and I was planning on placing the heater cores near my feet (see attached pics). Doing it the way you described would seem to create a situation where your head is dripping sweat and your feet are frozen.

Attachments

• 100_0365.JPG
    100_0365.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 2,644
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 3,588
   / Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #5  
I would never run anything but metal pipe carrying engine coolant inside the cab of any vehicle.

This is not an efficiency issue, it is a safety issue. If you have ever seen a heater hose let go under the hood of a car, the entire engine compartment is sprayed with boiling hot coolant and steam. If this were to happen inside the cab, the very best outcome would be incredible scalds and years of skin grafts.

If the vehicle were moving at the time, or if you were performing some critical maneuver with the tractor, the chances of a serious vehicle accident in addition to the scalds would be very high.

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #6  
Common heater hose is fine when protected from sharp corners and other hazards. If it is good enough for most manufacturers, it should be good enough for you. The less clamps and joints the better; that's where most leaks occur. Having the heater in the headliner area of the cab is fine; the key to not having hot/cold spots is sufficient airflow through the heater core to circulate throughout the cab space well. Being able to direct airflow towards the glass is a big plus.

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #7  
On my homebuilt cab I mounted the heater upper right blowing heat downwards and slightly fwd towards the windshield.
This way the feet get heated and since warm air rises the upper cab is comfy.
I always planned to add a simple hinged baffle to deflect heat towards the front window but that proved unnessary as I also have another fan (computer muffin fan) that swivels as required for additional circulation (and is great for summer air movement).

I used rad heater hose but 1/2" copper for all the straight runs.
Additionally I wrapped the straight runs with the foam insulation that the box stores sell for hot water household plumbing, seems to help (at least I believe so).

PS; I blow snow in -30 deg often and very comfy.

Floors are another issue as tractors have loads of holes, slits etc to let cold air in and that was my main reason to blow the air downwards.
While slitted carpets (for peddals etc) do help they tend to get iced up and become a problem so good boots is the answer.

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ?????
Thanks for the info guys, I do agree after thinking about it I should run the lines in the cab with copper, however where can I find 1/2 to 5/8 copper fittings, my heater core is 5/8" and tee fittings in my radiator hoses are 5/8" if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I have my heater core mounted directly above my windshield and I fabricated a deflector out of aluminum to act as a defroster to blow on the windshield, the rest of the core will blow downwards, as far as air coming throught the floor I am fortunate enough thatt my tractor is a grand L so it has a rubber mat and I have sealed off the holes so cold air cannot come through.

-Mike

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #9  
Have you thought about getting fresh air in. A closed in cab with warm air, and no fresh air will get really foggy on the inside.

/ Heater Hoses in tractor Cab ????? #10  
Well, I dont know much about heaters in cabs yet but your idea sounds pretty good. Keep up the good work. :)