Homemade Backhoe

/ Homemade Backhoe #1  

powermaxpaul

Tractor
Simplicity 9020 (2), Simplicity 4041 Tractor/Loader/Backhoe
I built this backhoe for my Simplicity Powermax 4041. If anyone is interested I have CAD generated plans available. The prototype has undergone some changes since this pic, and could be modified for other tractors. Tractor should have a loader for front counter weight. Also, like the Simplicity Powermax series and AC equivalents, the tractor should be a minimum of 1400# dry weight.

Attachments

• 53-166571-pk_backhoe1(1).jpg
    53-166571-pk_backhoe1(1).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 8,735
   / Homemade Backhoe #2  
I admire your work.

From someone who is flat out making a shelf on a wall, the concept of making a backhoe is mind boggling.

Cheers

/ Homemade Backhoe #3  
Very nice work. What was the approx cost of the materials to put this togethor? Is it a straight 3 pt mount or is it tied to the frame of the tractor as well?

/ Homemade Backhoe
The total cost of parts for mine was about $1600. While this is less than buying a unit, you need to budget a lot of time. I spent quite a lot of time cutting out pieces in my basement with a Sawzall. I had mine professionally welded by a friend, but could have welded it with my Lincoln 225 buzz box.

I've made up a plan package similar to what you'd get from cadplans, that includes 7 pages of notes, a bill of materials, and 8 pages of detailed drawings. I'm currently asking $75 per set to anyone interested.

Max digging depth is about 5' 6" and has a maximum ripping force at the bucket of 3300# at 1500 psi. Unit weighs about 770 lbs.

This is a pic of the backhoe prototype as modified to date:
hoe629.jpg

Paul

/ Homemade Backhoe #5  
I am extremely interested in your design. this looks like a very great and simple backhoe that would suit me well. Is it attached to the frame of the tractor and how easily does it go off and on? also does it run off the pto shaft? any more info you can provide would be great! I would love to see more pics, especially action shots.

derek

/ Homemade Backhoe #6  
Did you cut the triangular gusset-shaped parts with the Sawsall? That must have been very time consuming. If you have a decent steel supplier locally, and can give them a drawing, or better yet a .dxf (cad) file, they should be able to knock the plates out on a burn table in about 15 minutes. A couple of shops I used to work in have them, it's amazing how quickly and accurately they can cut complex shapes.

Interesting to hear that you were able to build for the material price you were. I think I'll look at this project seriously once I get a tractor. This being poor stuff sucks! Nice workmanship and design on your BH. I can't see enough detail, how did you handle the pivot of the backhoe at the #PH?

BTW, if you want cad files for burning let me know, I can whip up the plate shapes in Solidworks in a few minutes and export dxf's.

/ Homemade Backhoe #7  
Most good size welding shops use a shear. It makes a much cleaner cut than burning and faster to.

/ Homemade Backhoe #8  
I have an 'old' 10" table saw. I replaced the blade with a 10" 'chop saw' or cut off wheel blade. Even an 8" will do. It's not a problem to cut 1/2" stock with this. The fence and miter gauge are really a plus as well as being able to tilt the blade for making a bevel cut ready for welding. Saves on grinding time and is much neater, too.

/ Homemade Backhoe #9  
That's not a bad idea. I have a Delta 10" table saw and never even considered the idea of a metal cutting blade for it.

/ Homemade Backhoe #10  
Neat idea with the table saw-though I think I'd want to get an old beater one for this!

The burn tables I'm familiar with are computer (CNC) controlled, and give a much smoother cut than a hand-burned one. Unlike a shear, they will do curves and radii just as well as straights, and any kind of internal cutouts. Granted, the shear will give a somewhat better edge.