>> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ??

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #1  

BearKiller

Silver Member
My old CTT-Tools made in Taiwan drill-press, bought nearly 35 years ago, has stood there and drilled a blue million holes in everything from BRNO Model 98 receivers to ring-binder holes in a stack of paper.

The old guy who told me to "not have anything to do with that Chinese junk" went long ago and the press is still going strong.

Enough background; on with the question :

For the last couple years, the 1/32 to 5/8 capacity, Morse Taper 2, Jacobs Taper 3 KEYED chuck has steadily been getting harder and harder to operate.

Just a while ago, when I removed a 3/8" bit, one of the "prongs" stayed down, while the other two went up.

I managed to work it back into place and drill several more holes.

Where can I get a replacement KEYED chuck ??

I see the keyless ones that are the same size at swap-meets all the time for about $45, but I do not really trust a keyless chuck on something so important as a press.

Thanks.:)

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #2  
My old CTT-Tools made in Taiwan drill-press, bought nearly 35 years ago, has stood there and drilled a blue million holes in everything from BRNO Model 98 receivers to ring-binder holes in a stack of paper.

The old guy who told me to "not have anything to do with that Chinese junk" went long ago and the press is still going strong.

Enough background; on with the question :

For the last couple years, the 1/32 to 5/8 capacity, Morse Taper 2, Jacobs Taper 3 KEYED chuck has steadily been getting harder and harder to operate.

Just a while ago, when I removed a 3/8" bit, one of the "prongs" stayed down, while the other two went up.

I managed to work it back into place and drill several more holes.

Where can I get a replacement KEYED chuck ??

I see the keyless ones that are the same size at swap-meets all the time for about $45, but I do not really trust a keyless chuck on something so important as a press.

Thanks.:)

Harbor Freight has Morse taper chucks. So do lots of other places.

I recently bought a new chuck for a benchtop Delta infinitely variable speed drill press because the chuck was getting really hard (nearly impossible) to use and lubrication didn't help. After I bought the new one I gave the old one yet another thorough lubrication and ran it all the way open and closed a couple times and of course it works fine now. so I have a new spare.

$7.99 for a 1/2" MT2 Mini-Lathe Drill Chuck 42340-0VGA (HF item number)

Got this info at www.hareborfreight.com You could look at Northern tool, Grainger, etc.

Pat

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #3  
OE chuck here http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=290-1320&PMPXNO=951435&PARTPG=INLMK3
0859001A-11.jpg

It is back ordered, but would this work for you ?

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

There is also this one (chuck only JT3) called a "precision" type Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #4  
I got one for my old Harbor Freight press off Ebay a few years back. There were several to pick from.

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #5  
I bought a pretty good drill press but it had a lousy keyed chuck. Somewhere on eBay I found a keyless chuck and its the best thing I ever could have done. I found out you need to have a pair of chuck remover thingies that are like 2 wedges that you push in to remove the old chuck. Got them from Graingers. But its a 1/2" now. Was 3/8 before. Very pleased with the result.

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #6  
Bought mine from MSC.

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #7  
Somewhere on eBay I found a keyless chuck and its the best thing I ever could have done.

I've never had any success with keyless chucks, but then I drill steel with drills up to 1" x 1/2" shank.

Even a Jacobs chuck struggles to hold the larger drills.

I don't know why they don't make drills with a hex shank like the screwdriver bits.

With a belt driven drill press nothing disastrous could happen - could it?

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ??
$7.99 for a 1/2" MT2 Mini-Lathe Drill Chuck 42340-0VGA (HF item number)
Pat

Thanks for the info.

I got two of that exact same chuck on sale for 6.99 each.

They are Morse Taper 2, and they do fit the Morse socket on my press, but those are lathe chucks and lack a very important part that drill chucks have = the "drive key" that is on the small end of the taper that engages a slot inside the arbor, thus preventing the chuck from spinning inside the arbor.

The reason that drive key is absent on a lathe chuck is so the chuck will spin if a tool caught in the stock being turned.:)

That $90 Jacobs would fit the bill nicely; I don't think I gave $90 for the entire press when I bought it new.:rolleyes:

On a closer examination, that is only the chuck and I would either have to somehow use my "taper" or buy another.

I have never had any experience separating the taper from the chuck or installing the chuck on the taper; I wouldn't know where to start.

I have swapped tapers in the drill itself many times, as I bought a five-gallon bucket full of Kosmoline-coated military surplus Morse Taper drill-bits at an auction long ago; the smallest is 3/8 and there are several very large ones in there also, I think up to 1-1/2--they are huge.

I used to actually have an ENCO catalog, but I had forgot all about them until you posted that link.

Thanks.

/ >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #9  
To get one from HF, take the part number from the manual and call customer service. They stock some common parts. If they have to order it from China, pass on that because it may take months to get it.
The first one actually has a 3/4 " chuck. Edit: and an MT3 shank - oops.
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/39000-39999/39955.PDF
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/43000-43999/43389.PDF

This one from Enco is on sale. Might as well get a new shank too, less than $5.
Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Last edited:
   / >> MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS CHUCK ?? #10  
to get the shank out of a chuck gold the chuck in one hand tight, hit the side of the shank hard several times with a brass or copper bar, it takes a few hits but works