Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader?

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #11  
How much is too much? I can pick up four at one of my local dealers for under $2k each. Two rear-discharge and two side (Gehl).

-r-

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #12  
I'm also planing to build a small manure spreader something to pull behind a lawn tractor.
I got a big PTO driven spreader, but it's to big to get in a few places. I also have two ground driven spreader that needs new wood. It might be cheaper to get a old spreader and rebuild it. Most needs new wood.
I'm planing to used a old grain chain elevator and using it for a spreader. I got hold of three of them. And like to try to make a few of them each will be different. First I will use the elevator troth and chain with a 5hp gas engine. 2nd one will be wider then the first. I may try to run them on a pto, ground driven, or a gas engine. I also like to try to make a side beater. So I can drive along a tree line and throw manure off to the side or use it for mixing compost.

Attachments

• gain elevator.jpg
    gain elevator.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 394
   / Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader?
I'm also planing to build a small manure spreader something to pull behind a lawn tractor.
I got a big PTO driven spreader, but it's to big to get in a few places.

I think that's another issue for me...Most of the used stuff I can find to rebuild is much bigger than I need.

I just thought of this: I wonder if there's a way to use parts from an old snowblower to spread manure. In fact if a guy rigged a way to keep the manure fed into it, he may just be able to use a whole snowblower to spread manure. There's your side discharge mechanism ready made.

Now I'm off to e-bay to see how much those garden tractor snowblowers sell for.

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #14  
Here one I found on the net a few years ago. This one would work great in the yard. I been trying to find some heavy round screen. SMART Spreader Home

Attachments

• 4whlrmanurespreader.JPG
    4whlrmanurespreader.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,147
Here one I found on the net a few years ago. This one would work great in the yard. I been trying to find some heavy round screen. SMART Spreader Home

I'll have to look at that one again along with jmarotz's design when I have more time to figure out how they work.

I did notice the VERY NICE team of mules in that top picture on the site you linked to.

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #16  

Not a bad looking unit, simple easy system. Just a diamond expanded steel drum on drive wheels. What was that saying, " KISS " keep it simple stupid.

Only I wonder how that would work with manure that has grass grown on it and straw mixed in?

Not a bad looking unit, simple easy system. Just a diamond expanded steel drum on drive wheels. What was that saying, " KISS " keep it simple stupid.

Only I wonder how that would work with manure that has grass grown on it and straw mixed in?

That's easy... Wet it down good, turn it, and spread it about two months later.

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #18  
   / Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #19  
I'll have to look at that one again along with jmarotz's design when I have more time to figure out how they work.

I did notice the VERY NICE team of mules in that top picture on the site you linked to.

This video shows pretty well how it works

YouTube - How the spreader works.

I don't if you seen it in the video. There a cut edge that rides the inside to clean and maybe cut the straw down to size. I could be wrong. There also a angle iron on the outside back of the drum that could help to clean the screen.