Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader?

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #21  
I've been looking through some old threads to see about building a simple muck spreader (simialr situation to OP).

Just wondering if there have been any new ideas or muck spreader built since the last post?

Some plans would be great...:laughing:

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #22  
I would like to build a side slinger spreader. What I want it for is to grind up the end of the season left over plant material from our greenhouses and field growing. The root balls and stems are hard to deal with. If I could pulverize this stuff then I could spread it on my fields.

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #23  
I would like to build a side slinger spreader. What I want it for is to grind up the end of the season left over plant material from our greenhouses and field growing. The root balls and stems are hard to deal with. If I could pulverize this stuff then I could spread it on my fields.

I've also considered a side discharge (like the photo, not the chain type), and wondered if an old chipper could be converted? I thought maybe it could be adapted with a large vertical hopper to hold the waste, feeding into the chopper unit, with the discharge tube angled 45 degrees to the side? The only problem I can forsee, is that the cost of buying and adapting an old chipper would probably cost more than a cheap spreader (which is already more than I want to pay)!!! :moneybag:

2_432_e.jpg

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #24  
Instead of using a chipper, use a crop chopper... also known as a silage chopper. You can pick up an old one for scrap price. They they consist of a flail mower, cross-feed auger, and a large flywheel chipper/blower. You could pretty much divorce the flail mower, turn the rest of it sideways , put a hopper over the auger and be done. You're left with a heavy duty right angle gearbox and most of a fail mower that could pretty easilly be put together to make a dedicated 3pt flail mower.

/ Anyone Ever Built a Manure Spreader? #25  
Just get yourself a straw blower with frail beater chains. then you can direct the discharge shute any direction you want. Might have to feed with shovel, or you can get fancy and build a hopper box with a conveyor to feed the manure into the blower. Naw, probably cost more than just buying a spreader.