Lincoln or Hobart

/ Lincoln or Hobart #1  

xmoto

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota LA3410, Ford 3400, Gator XUV
I am going to buy a lincoln AC/DC 225/125 or a hobart stickmate 235AC/160DC. Who has used them and what do you think.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #2  
I am going to buy a lincoln AC/DC 225/125 or a hobart stickmate 235AC/160DC. Who has used them and what do you think.

Buy Miller:D

I have a miller acdc and actually, the Hobart is pretty similar to the Miller (same parent company). Ive had great luck with my miller and would imagine that youd have the same with the Hobart.

The Lincoln Toumbstone has a great rep too, but the Hobart has a higher DC (and AC) rating and you'll likely use DC 99% of the time. So id recommend the Hobart.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #3  

I have the Hobart AC/DC and it welds great. Go with an AC/DC machine the 1st time so you don't have to upgrade later....

/ Lincoln or Hobart #4  
Most definitely agree with the Miller/Hobart.

One of the first machines I learned on was a Lincloln "tombstone" buzz-box(AC 225).
Thought it was great till we got a Lincoln DC 250 MkII (3 ph errrrr... pen*s machine :eek: ) and a Millermatic 35 MIG. After welding with those you learn what "current sag" is with the AC 225 .

/ Lincoln or Hobart #5  
Find a good dealer and buy that machine. The dealer will go a long way toward solving problems for you as well as hooking you up with the right rods and amperage settings if you get out of your comfort zone.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #6  
i vote for miller too.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #7  
I've got the Hobart... and I highly recommend it. 160 amps DC vs. 125 for the Lincoln...

The Hobart and Miller stick machines that we are talking about here are identical except for the paint and stickers... they are built on the same assembly line by the same workers with the same parts... except today we make Blue, tomorrow we make White...

Find a Hobart and save some $$'s compared to the blue painted ones.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #8  
I have always had Lincolns. But it's really just brand loyalty. I have a rather low opinion of Hobarts ( some guys will call them "Hofarts") but this probably stems from the MIG I am forced to use at work.Considering that an arc welder is just a transformer in a box, brand most likely won't matter much. Same goes for "Dealer service"...I have 40 year old Lincoln stick welders that have never ever needed service except for maybe oiling the fan.

I guess even my home made gas machine is part Lincoln....the alternator came from a Continental.

/ Lincoln or Hobart #10  
I have a Hobart AC/DC and it has been doing what I need. I'm an (every other) weekend warrior welder and it is just about all I need.