Up-side down wood splitter...home made

/ Up-side down wood splitter...home made #1  

agency399

Tractor
Kubota 6040
Hi everyone,

I have been a long time lurker and thought I would start my first post with a project my neighbor and I built.

We started it this past July and pieced it together little by little. We bought the I-Beam from a locale welder, the cylinder from a junk yard, and the quick attach bracket from a locale farm machine store. Everything else my neighbor built from scratch including the wedge (which we are going to re-do it next year to even the splits out)

I have an outdoor wood furnace and one of my friends does residential tree removal for a living. So he drops off logs to me logs for a delivery fee. It worked out great last year (first year I had the stove) but most of the trees were huge. I got thinking (scary in itself) there has to be a better way, and after searching these forums I found it! The up-side down wood splitter.

I also already owned a Kubota 6040

Well here it is my up side down wood splitter with a 6-way wedge

Attachments

• splitter 1.jpg
    splitter 1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 4,534
  • splitter 2.jpg
    splitter 2.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1,123
  • splitter 3.jpg
    splitter 3.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2,177
   / Up-side down wood splitter...home made #2  
This is why we Americans are getting fat. . . how much lazier can you be:D:D:D

Great idea

/ Up-side down wood splitter...home made #3  
Nice idea, do you have to do a lot of moving around with the tractor in order to "catch" the wood? I've seen something like this on an excavator and it seemed okay.

/ Up-side down wood splitter...home made
Thanks for the reply guys.

I try to block the logs up in a row near the pile. If i leave the tractor in 3rd gear, by the time I split one and get the loader over the next piece the ram is already brought back. The splitter end is far enough away from the cab that I can see it perfect and just set it right on top of the block. (We got lucky on this as it was not planned)

I agree 100% on the lazy part, haha. I still use my vertical splitter for small stuff that only needs to be split once or twice.

This year I hope to split about 60 cords for myself and some family members. I live in a old farm house with poor insulation, so we go through a decent amount of wood. Plus most of the stuff he brings is big and I am 26 and have a really hard time finding anyone who wants to split wood (I enjoy it myself)

/ Up-side down wood splitter...home made #5  
I've seen some commercial versions for a skid-steer, but only with a regular two-way wedge. Could you post a picture of the wedge itself?

-r-

Here is what I have for now Rus, when I go home tonight I will snap some closer ones.

Attachments

• splitter 4.jpg
    splitter 4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 977
  • splitter 5.jpg
    splitter 5.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,030
   / Up-side down wood splitter...home made #7  
From the side view shot, I see a hydraulic line. Are you using a rear port versus the 3rd function on the loader?

From the side view shot, I see a hydraulic line. Are you using a rear port versus the 3rd function on the loader?

Yes I am using the rear tractor ports. I really wanted to get the kit from Kubota and run the lines down the loader and have short hoses. But the kit was $800 plus instillation and the hoses were $160.

Its not bad running them to the back for hook up. I go along the loader frame and bungy them up, then to the inside of where the cab comes down to the axel, so they stay away from the rear tire. They stay put pretty well and the front tire does not grab them when I turn. I also ran protective nylon sleave down the hoses to prevent rubbing.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy one and make the wedge. I dont see the point in having one if you only have a single split wedge as you would have to move the tractor so much it would be more of a pain in the butt. But it was fun building something like this and I learned a lot from it.

I think the 6-way is what makes it worth having on a tractor.

/ Up-side down wood splitter...home made #10  
Ive got one similar to yours I built this spring. I havent put my plate on it for the 1840 skid steer Im putting it on. The county brought me several truck loads of 4 foot oak tree rounds to the landfill I run. I only have the singe wedge on mine because I dont know haw a multi wedge would slpit them. They are good and dry now and some have splits of their own. I saw one commercial upside down splitter that has a straight wedge with another short one on one side of the main wedge. They said it was for large rounds that it would split the large round in half and then split off a quater on the other side. I didnt get to see it work. Thanks for posting your machine, it answere alot of questions I had about mine.