Backhoe sub-frame

/ Backhoe sub-frame #1  

horseman8m

I have a Jinma Jm-454 tractor with the FEL already on it, just wanted to know if i need a sub-frame to put on a 3 pt backhoe OR should i make a sub-frame and mount the backhoe to it.???
If i do need a frame how far fwd do i need to run the frame, all the way to the front or just to the FEL attachment on the transmission ??
Thanks for your help as i am making a Backhoe .

J-PAGE-24BBB.jpg

Horse (Jonathan)

/ Backhoe sub-frame #2  
Jonathan,
Definately use a sub-frame...
Looks like you may have a handle on fabricating things....
Keep it simple, try not to re-invent things and go to your dealer's lot, or any dealers lot. look at what has been done on several different makes of BH/Tractors. Use their best engineering and make it as compact, stout and serviceable as possible. Good luck, KennyV.

/ Backhoe sub-frame #5  
Some things are easier bought than build even if you're a talented builder. If not you will at least see how they generally mount. MikeD74T
Sound advice.

Thanks for your help as i am making a Backhoe .
Just curious, where did you get your plans? I am considering a similar project for my Kubota.

Thanks in advance.

/ Backhoe sub-frame
Thank you for your replys, I am retired air force aircraft mech. and a cert FAA A&P mech. ,, so i am doing the plans myself and building the backhoe and frame . and now a subframe as well.

I know it has been done before and i am doing this just because i want to do it , not to just buy one and put it on, but to build it from scratch .
I am going to post photos as i go but now i am planning what i have to do to the tractor to take a 10 ft reach , 8 ft deep backhoe.

/ Backhoe sub-frame #7  
Subframe, definitely. How far you run it under the tractor will determine the life of the tractor, especially if you have been know to be rough on equipment, or if you accidently mis-calculate some minor stress. Extra steel never hurt, unless your trying to get it airborne.
David from jax

/ Backhoe sub-frame #8  
Horseman,

Personally I don't believe you need a subframe for a tractor as they do not have enough hydraulic power to harm anything. Compared to a purpose built backhoe there is definite night and day difference. I have been operating my tractor for years with my hoe and no problems with the frame what so ever. I have also operated backhoes professionally for many years and unless you have extreme hydro power the backhoe is not going to harm your tractor. Go with the size recommended for your tractor to much weight hanging off the back end could pose problems but that would be it.

/ Backhoe sub-frame #9  
If i do need a frame how far fwd do i need to run the frame, all the way to the front or just to the FEL attachment on the transmission ??

If your tractor was 10,000# and had a cat 2 3-pt, then using that hitch
could be OK. But since that is not you, a subframe is the only way to go,
IMO, from experience.

There are lots of considerations about subframe design. Mounting to the
FEL subframe is an excellent way to go, as you can see with good
designs from Woods, Bradco, and the tractor manufacturers. JD has made
subframes that mount to the rear axle castings (only), and that has not
worked so well. You can make your subframe in 2 big sections, or just one.
The 2-piece subframes with four mounting points are the best, and they
are getting to be more like what you see on commercial units.

I think you can make a custom subframe that is superior to subframes
purchased from the hoe vendors. You can mount the hoe very close in to
the back of the tractor, which is much better than some of the subframes
that put the hoe way out back. There are also pros and cons about
pins versus bolts and how fast mounting will be.

Look at as many subframes as you can find and borrow from the best ones
you see.