My new air compressor

/ My new air compressor #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
It still needs a coat of paint and a new SMV sign on the back of it, but it is pumping air and nicely, pumps up to 125 psi and kicks back on about 100 psi, may make a few more safety shields on the fly wheel and may be some more on the PTO shaft, but that was all I had time for today.

aircompressor010.jpg

aircompressor011.jpg

there are three safety pop off valves, one on the receiver, and two on the tank,

It will pump up from 0 psi to 125 psi in about 4 Min's, with the tractor running at 1600 rpm (it is on a 1000 rpm PTO, but the pump is rated for 800 rpm). which comes to about 800 on the PTO,

I still need one more 3/4" x 1/4" reducer to put the small air hose on, but I have the fitting for the 1/2" hose for the 1" air wrench, and the black hose is a full one inch hose and have about 50 foot of it,

and need to make a better water drain on it, there is a plug on the under side, but need to put in a elbow, and short pipe and a valve,

Now to find a sand blaster,

/ My new air compressor #3  
nice setup for a tractor. Now ya need to add another compressor right next to it run it off the pulley of the current one and have a really good air supply for blasting ... :D

/ My new air compressor #4  
What a monster. The CFM must be very high. I bet you wouldn't even need a tank for most tools.

/ My new air compressor #6  
NEAT! How many gallons is that tank?

/ My new air compressor #7  
   / My new air compressor #9  
Put a dump valve on the back and you can use it to push the tractor home when it runs out of fuel. LOL

/ My new air compressor
Hey, pretty cool. I don't suppose this thread gave you any inspiration, did it? ;)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/87592-power-take-off-air-compresser-3.html

I'm wondering...when the compressor reaches about 110 PSI do you get some 'kickback' rattling through the drive train? Also, if not the unloader valve from Grainer, which one did you use?

Sorry I had not noticed or remember that thread from before,
my son picked up the compressor in cleaning up some scrap iron, and have had it for some time, it was all ready PTO driven, so only logical to continue for the need and time use of it potential, but have wanted a big compressor to set up for some sand blasting and have another one time project that will need portable air and lot of it, so that is why I built it.

no "kick back" or rattling,

the unloader valve is a pilot valve which operates the suction heads, and opens up the valves, at first I thought I was going to have to use a dump unloader valve, but but I finally found some info on the compressor and was able to get a system that would work with the compressor head.

I had asked here if any one here had any back ground or information on
this type of compressor and did not get any responses on it operation, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/152837-air-compressor.htmland I finally called a company off the net,
Air Compressor Parts - Marcuse & Son and they more than gladly helped me I sent them pictures of the unit and the people knew of the type of unit and told me how to put the unloader on it, and sold me the parts, (could have probably bought the parts a little less some other location, but felt there service was the least I could do to buy from them), I was also able to trace down the current owner of the compressor line, and was able to get a manual and parts list, (the manual was not a lot of help but was very nice of them to sent it to me),

the tank is 200 or 250 gallon, the tag got ripped off, (so not legal for propane any more) not sure of the size of the tank, (it is bigger than the shop air compressor).