My Horse Barn in Progress

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #1  

jcaron2

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX-5000
I started building my horse barn this spring. So far it's pretty much been just me and my Kubota. Since the tractor has played a major role, I figured I'd share some pics and narrative of the progress.

/ My Horse Barn in Progress
Step 1: Design

After much consultation with the wife (the horse expert of the two of us), we came up with a floor plan and some of the design features. To avoid assembly snafus, I decided to draw the whole thing in 3D complete with every stud, rafter, and panel.

The basic design is a 36x48 pole barn divided into 12 different 12x12 sections. The four sections running down the middle (the long way) make up the center aisleway. Of the remaining eight "rooms", there will be five horse stalls, a tack room, a feed room, and a washrack.

Attachments

• Barn14_TopDownView_Orthographic.jpg
    Barn14_TopDownView_Orthographic.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 754
  • Complete5.jpg
    Complete5.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 544
  • Complete4.jpg
    Complete4.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 598
  • Complete3.jpg
    Complete3.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 596
  • Complete2.jpg
    Complete2.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 531
  • Complete6.jpg
    Complete6.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Rafters_TopGableViewZoomed.jpg
    Rafters_TopGableViewZoomed.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 427
  • Rafters_Peak_Zoomed.jpg
    Rafters_Peak_Zoomed.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Rafters_Corner_Zoomed.jpg
    Rafters_Corner_Zoomed.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 493
Step 2: Water and Power

The barn is about 450' from the house and about 600' from the well, so I had a whole lot of trench to dig. The tractor came in very handy here. I used my subsoiler to dig down about 18", and a potato plow to kick most of the dirt out. I had to get the last 6" or so out of the trench by hand, but at least the subsoiler had loosened it all up.

I ran 1" PE pipe from the well. I installed a shutoff valve at the well head and will eventually put a second expansion tank in the barn in addition to the one already in the house.

In addition to the typical lights and outlets in the barn, we plan to have a hot water heater, a clothes dryer, some pretty high power arena lights, and a 220V outlet for a welder. I managed to get a 500' spool of 4/0-4/0-2/0 underground service entrance wire for about half price. The wire's rated for 200A, but I put it on a 100A circuit so I don't get too much voltage drop over that distance. That should be enough current for everything I want to do.

I ran everything to the barn site and hooked it up onto a temporary pole.

Sorry. No action pics with the tractor.

Attachments

• Barn 004.jpg
    Barn 004.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 499
  • Barn 006.jpg
    Barn 006.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 594
  • Barn 018.jpg
    Barn 018.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Barn 022.jpg
    Barn 022.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 484
  • Barn 041.jpg
    Barn 041.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 536
  • Barn 042.jpg
    Barn 042.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 421
  • Barn 044.jpg
    Barn 044.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 611
  • Barn 063.jpg
    Barn 063.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 343
   / My Horse Barn in Progress #4  
That looks like a good design

If you are putting a in a sub panel you should have 4 wires out there to meet new code if applicable to you.

hot, hot, neutral, and ground.

At least add a ground rod out at the panel to be safe.

tom

That looks like a good design

If you are putting a in a sub panel you should have 4 wires out there to meet new code if applicable to you.

hot, hot, neutral, and ground.

At least add a ground rod out at the panel to be safe.

tom

Thanks, Tom. I realize the new code requires a ground, but I'm not required to get any of this permitted since this is an agricultural building on a registered farm. Therefore, I'll pretend it's still 2007 and put a couple of ground rods at the barn location.

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #6  
Someone doesn't need any more projects for a while.:D

Looks like that will be a fine horse barn. When the wife and I built ours we were sure that we'd only have two hayeaters at a time so we went with a 4 stall setup. Two years ago I had planned to run water and electic lines..but other projects seemed to always be more important.

Right now I'm finishing the prep work for a riding arena..(making a slight hillside of many trees and massive rocks into level ground).... almost done with the clearing and filling, I'll be getting truck loads of crushed stone soon, then gravel, topped by some type of sand (to be decided..) What a learning experience this has all been!

If I ever do this much land clearing and leveling I'll need a 20K excavator and a dozer.... too hard on the equipment and on my body....

but this thread is about the barn..plenty of time for other things later.:D

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #7  
Thanks, Tom. I realize the new code requires a ground, but I'm not required to get any of this permitted since this is an agricultural building on a registered farm. Therefore, I'll pretend it's still 2007 and put a couple of ground rods at the barn location.

Ive put 100's of sub panels in the old way and never had a problem.

I just didn't want you getting burnt by inspector or "shocked" with out ground rod. (pun intended)

tom

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #8  
Looks like there will be lots of happy horses in the near future!

As a fellow horse owner, I really enjoyed the pictures and look forward to more.

PS: Maybe you could "accidentally" include pictures of the horses someday.

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #9  
looks like a great barn. I do not know how often you buy food and how many horses you will have. Personally I like to buy up a years worth of hay each Fall. I prefer to only go through that hassle once a year. I have 2 horses and it requires more than a 12 X 12 section in the barn. Now I only go 5 or 6 bales high after that point it gets harder to stack and to get to feed.

/ My Horse Barn in Progress #10  
How come that puppy is so clean? Didn't you get him to work on the digging?