Mail Box Destruction

/ Mail Box Destruction #31  
My last mailbox was bashed when school started this year (again). I always call my sherriff's office and tell them to just log it. This time they insisted a deputy come by for a look and a talk. I'm a mile from a tri county area and 90 percent in the area mailboxes in all three counties have been hit within a 3 square mile area. The three counties were comparing notes. Seems as though we have two families of teens in seperat counties but only a mile apart, that are known to all three counties sherriff offices. One families teen (a 23 year old .. LOL) is doing time for his part in vandalizing (busting head stones) a local cemetary two years ago.

Deputies from all three counties are taking turns patroling a three square mile area watching for these individules cars 24/7. They have confiscated baseball bats and 1" iron pipes with rubber handles taped to one end. My light gage steel box was bashed by a 1" pipe.

I drove a couple of steel T posts beside the box so we'll see if that slows them down.

/ Mail Box Destruction #32  
Ok I have an idea, wrap your mailbox with rubber (preferably filled with air like a tire) This would do wonders for you, by removing the damage from your mailbox to the immature vandal's parents' car. LMAO!

/ Mail Box Destruction #33  
I hit a neighbor box's one night with my truck on a gravel road one night after work after putting in 70hours work week. I fell asleep at the wheel. I pick up everything and set it in the yard it was 3am. It was a old rusty mail box's on a rotten fence post. I was feeling guilty, ashamed and embarrassed about it. So I went and got a new mailbox and a post the neighbor live a mile down the road. I drove by and just set it in the yard and drove off. A few days later the neighbor put the new one up. I never told him I hit it. Not sure it was the right thing to do? But they got a new one out of it anyway.

/ Mail Box Destruction
Have fun paying the lawyer fees when some kids mother sues you for breaking the little turds arm!

Yep, they can sue me and the little turd with the cast on his arm will have a lasting memory as to how he got it. Somethings in life are worth paying for!!

/ Mail Box Destruction #35  
had mine hit 3 - 4 times in 3 years

fabbed a heavy duty version from 1/4" steel, cut the front plate so it would accept a standard cheap mailbox door
then made the post in two sections - section anchored in the ground in concrete is a 2" steel rod, cut the end at a 15 degree angle so the lowest side was to the street

the rod from other side of that 15 degree cut, i bored the 4X4 post to accept it, and bonded it in with the lowest side of the cut, again to the street side, leaving about 2" sticking out the end of the 4X4. Welded a 6-7" steel sleeve onto the 2" section sticking out - i put a little grease on both cut ends of the rod

idea is, it will take a hit from a bat or 2X4, and swing away - then gravity will bring it back around

my mail lady still chuckles at it - you can push it around and it swings back on it's own

since doing that back in mid 90s, haven't had to replace it

/ Mail Box Destruction #36  
I live on a old blacktop road off a gravel road tee intersection in the county for three years. I got a list of things that happen to mine.
Snow plow and road grader hit it about 6 time
two cars hit it
I hit it clearing snow with the loader on the tractor

So after being hit so many times I look around and found this The Mailswing. I call the 1-800-dig number got the utility mark. I move the box's about 15 feet away from the corner of the intersection from where it was and dug two hole 3 feet deep. I set it back in the ditch about four feet from where it was and add gravel. I put a pipe in the hole with some bracing and concert. I made a pole like this pics. But I made it to adjustment the pipe so I can pull way off the road with the truck in the summer and it the winter when the snow fills the ditch I can adjust the pipe and pull the box closer to the road. I just got a cheap box's on it for a bit. It took a week and someone hit it with a car. The pole work good but the cheap box's and the wood broad I mount it on came off the pole and bent the box. I got the welder out again using 1/8 plate and 1/8 thick by 14" round pipe I cut the pipe in half and used it for the top and welded plate on the side, back, bottom and made a door. I set the door about 3/4" back in side so the handle didn't stick out. I ok it with the Post Master before I build it first. It's been up now for four mouths. I'll try to get a few pics of it post.

Attachments

• mailswing.JPG
    mailswing.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 457
   / Mail Box Destruction #37  
Around here, they really like to bash the ones that look like a John Deere or I-H tractor, plus those that look like a locomotive, or anything just a little nicer than the rest.

They also like those that look like a neat red barn and silo, or a log-cabin.

Boxes like those don't last through the first week.:(

There is a big welding/fabricating company in town, owned by the wealthiest individual around.

He got tired of his plain old box getting clubbed, so he had his crew build one of 1/2" steel plate that was exactly the same shape as the regular one, even used the door and flag from the regular one.

Another guy rigged his to explode and blow flourescent orange paint all over; in less than three nights, it got exploded and a nearly pristine 1968 SS Camaro was quite noticable for several weeks.:cool:

/ Mail Box Destruction #38  
I hit a neighbor box's one night with my truck on a gravel road one night after work after putting in 70hours work week. I fell asleep at the wheel. I pick up everything and set it in the yard it was 3am. It was a old rusty mail box's on a rotten fence post. I was feeling guilty, ashamed and embarrassed about it. So I went and got a new mailbox and a post the neighbor live a mile down the road. I drove by and just set it in the yard and drove off. A few days later the neighbor put the new one up. I never told him I hit it. Not sure it was the right thing to do? But they got a new one out of it anyway.

It was the right thing to do: But you shouldn't have hid with the new parts. I would have handed the stuff to the person, and offered to help him put it up. Nothing embarrassing in doing right. You would have made a new friend....

Also, anyone looked at the Fort Knox Mailbox - The Leader in High Security Mailboxes! mailboxes? Stout and postmaster approved

/ Mail Box Destruction #39  
That's rite their target is the nice shiny new box.
Who wants to bash up and old dilapidated one.

I used some rust colored primer, a few mild dents, and some random black on a new mail box after the old one got bashed. Looked really old. It never got hit. It got stolen.

Bruce

/ Mail Box Destruction #40  
"Cluster" mailboxes are not immune to vandalism either. I was talking with my future neighbor at our property east of Denver and he told me vandals destroyed a cluster mailbox in the next neighborhood over.

There are nine 35-acre lots on the street where our property is, and they are served by a cluster mailbox. It will be about a 1.5-mile round trip just to get the mail from a tiny slot door barely tall enough for an average person's hand to fit in.

Oh well, it could be worse.