How do I build a hay/barn pulley?????????

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
I'm sorry, I can't seem to search this forum at all, I always get an internal server error. Hence my question, apologies if it's already on here somewhere.

Have you seen a barn where they have that pole out the gable end and a pulley? Like this one here:

http://www.barnsbarnsbarns.com/ashville.html

Sorry, I can't seem to post photos either, I'm just full of issues.

In any event I'm building my 36x40 pole barn in the spring, have the plans, material list...etc but the lumber co. that designed it won't/can't design this contraption saying their software won't do it, and they're not sure how to do it. Any thoughts, photos, ideas?? I'd really like it, and google gave nothing up. Thank you!

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #2  
Cant help on the design, but when you get to needing blocks and rope let me know. I can get that at cost and ship to ya if wanted.

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley?????????
Thanks saltbranch. I'm just flustered over how to get that pole secured and not damaging anything. Don't imagine I'll haul anything up that weighs more than about 200 pounds, but I'm not an engineer so don't want to screw the pooch so to say.

Thanks Opti. Will check that out.

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #6  
Laminarman, If you go check out old barns near you, you should see that any hay tracks or places for block and tackle are usually attached to the collar ties that hold the rafters together near the peak. Do the plans you have actually show how the boom is attached or is that a decoration in the pictures? Most of the older barns with hay lofts had doors that opened to allow a track to come alll the way to the end of the boom for unloading hay from wagons and storing it in a barn. To make the block and tackle effective, it needs to be on a track so it can be moved once the load is lifted. We have two old barns with the hay forks on the homeplace that were operated with horses. ln later years those same tracks supported hay elevators to carry bales to the back end of the barns. The rafters in those cases were spaced about 2' on center and could support a lot more than 200#. w jones

Laminarman, If you go check out old barns near you, you should see that any hay tracks or places for block and tackle are usually attached to the collar ties that hold the rafters together near the peak. Do the plans you have actually show how the boom is attached or is that a decoration in the pictures? Most of the older barns with hay lofts had doors that opened to allow a track to come alll the way to the end of the boom for unloading hay from wagons and storing it in a barn. To make the block and tackle effective, it needs to be on a track so it can be moved once the load is lifted. We have two old barns with the hay forks on the homeplace that were operated with horses. ln later years those same tracks supported hay elevators to carry bales to the back end of the barns. The rafters in those cases were spaced about 2' on center and could support a lot more than 200#. w jones

You know, I don't know if these are decorative or not, I didn't buy these plans. I had my plan designed by a local company and they don't know how to do it. I guess I need to go visit some local barns. Thanks for the help.

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #8  
   / How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #9  
Here's what your looking for
You can attach the bean to the barn and extend it out as much as you want safely.

I think that's his struggle.

In our old dairy barn we had the rail fastened as described by a previous poster. The trolley rail was literally fastened at the absolute highest point in the barn from end to end. These perches at the end of the barn do look rather ornamental. I can't think of any way of installing it except to provide sufficient support beneath the perch on the gable end, and then some bracing on the opposing end to prevent teetering.

/ How do I build a hay/barn pulley????????? #10  
I have such a beam in a gambrel roof shed. I put a 4x6x12' on top of my collar ties. 3' sticks out the front of the shed. I put a pair of 45 degree braces under where it passes thru the wall & a 2x4 to the ridge on top of the other end to keep it from lifting. Since I only use a single pully I've never lifted more than 100 lbs but it would lift much more with a block & tackle. Cover the top of the exterior with flashing to protect from weather. Miked74T