Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #11  
Whistlepig - post #5 "I can run a drill at idle on the Generac but have to hold the governor to do it."

That was what I was referring too.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #12  
Iplayfarmer had it right. The Generac will cut to idle at no load only and needs to run at 3600rpm to maintain the 60hz required by standard AC devices in the U.S. Honda uses an alternator which is rectified to DC voltage, which in turn powers an electronic inverter that creates your 120 volt, 60 cycle power. This means that it only needs to run as fast as the amount of current drawn. Ingenius, but as you know, rather a pricey way to go. Honda does make a eu6500 series now that provides 220 volt and plenty of power for your average home during a power failure, but you had better have deep pockets.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #13  
Boy, you'd think they could build in a variable speed belt configured system (I.E Snomobile/ATV style) that would keep the generator side turning at the right RPM's and allow the engine to take a 'breather' during 'light' loads! (Pun Intended!)!!! :D ~Scotty

If that was easier, cheaper and more reliable than inverter technology, somebody would be doing it.
You get two choices: Cheap, fast & loud or quiet, efficient & expensive.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #14  
since many are sold as back up power units, it is not logical to have a idle down feature, as so many things have need of a trickle of power to signal the unit to work, and to have some thing start and it voltage is low and frequency is off it is really hard on the equipment, it may burn up a few thousand dollar furnace, fairly easy,

(you do not see auto start systems hardly any more, my folks had a generator after ww2 that you would flip a switch in the house and about 15 seconds later the generator would auto start and the light would come on, and when the light was shut off it shut down when the need for power was not needed),

the fuel used is not that much more just to idle the engine at speed, as the work to keep the engine spinning at 1800 or even 3600 is not that much more than at 1000 rpm, so most do not worry about it,

If I was to use my welder as a generator I would not use the idle down feature as it make things work so hard starting up, (I hardly even use it on the welder as it makes getting the arc started harder),

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?
Wow, I forgot I started this thread. I ended up selling the Generac and getting a 4k Chinese unit with an inverter. It's not a Honda, that would be out of my price range. This thing is really quiet though and hopefully it will sip fuel similar to the Honda, unlike the Generac. It's also electric start so my wife or kids should be able to get things powered back up. We'll see.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #16  
(you do not see auto start systems hardly any more, my folks had a generator after ww2 that you would flip a switch in the house and about 15 seconds later the generator would auto start and the light would come on, and when the light was shut off it shut down when the need for power was not needed)

I have one of these, a Kohler 1500W. It still works great. It was made in 1945. It's sure handy when you just need a little heat and light when the power goes out for a while. It has a cute little 4 cylinder water cooled engine and runs at 1200 rpm very quietly.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?
I have one of these, a Kohler 1500W. It still works great. It was made in 1945. It's sure handy when you just need a little heat and light when the power goes out for a while. It has a cute little 4 cylinder water cooled engine and runs at 1200 rpm very quietly.

Wow, 67 years old. Any pictures?? :)

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #18  
Iplayfarmer had it right. The Generac will cut to idle at no load only and needs to run at 3600rpm to maintain the 60hz required by standard AC devices in the U.S. Honda uses an alternator which is rectified to DC voltage, which in turn powers an electronic inverter that creates your 120 volt, 60 cycle power. This means that it only needs to run as fast as the amount of current drawn. Ingenius, but as you know, rather a pricey way to go. Honda does make a eu6500 series now that provides 220 volt and plenty of power for your average home during a power failure, but you had better have deep pockets.

Interesting fact. The inverter generators make 3-phase power on the AC side! That's part of what lets them spin down when low powered without losing oomph.