Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Hello, hopefully the title says it all. Here's where I'm at, I have a Generac 4000XL, is does throttle down when no load but even a light bulb makes it full throttle. No in between. My FILs Honda EU2000 runs the RPM's at what is needed for the load. Anyone ever modify their gen to do this? That Honda is amazingly cheap to run but of course an expensive unit to buy. Thoughts?

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #2  
The honda can do that because it is built on inverter technology. That's part of the reason it's expensive.

You'll have to check your generac specs, but I think it has to run full speed to get the right Hz and voltage. That's why it throttles up all the way for even a little lightbulb.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #3  
What Iplay said. The frequency comes from the engine rpm.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #4  
What Iplay said. The frequency comes from the engine rpm.

Boy, you'd think they could build in a variable speed belt configured system (I.E Snomobile/ATV style) that would keep the generator side turning at the right RPM's and allow the engine to take a 'breather' during 'light' loads! (Pun Intended!)!!! :D ~Scotty

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?
Ah, I forgot about the inverter part of the Honda. I can run a drill at idle on the Generac but have to hold the governor to do it. I can easily monitor the voltage but do not have a scope to make sure wave is good.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #6  
The honda can do that because it is built on inverter technology. That's part of the reason it's expensive.

You'll have to check your generac specs, but I think it has to run full speed to get the right Hz and voltage. That's why it throttles up all the way for even a little lightbulb.

Auto throttle is perhaps Honda's best feature. Honda's are expensive but will run all night and then some on a single fill up.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #7  
You can run a drill, saw and a few other motor loads because they don't care what frequency the power supplies but only the voltage and sufficient current to power the tool. That's why you can run your generac at idle and still get your drill to work.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #8  
You can run a drill, saw and a few other motor loads because they don't care what frequency the power supplies but only the voltage and sufficient current to power the tool. That's why you can run your generac at idle and still get your drill to work.

His Generac won't run a drill at idle. It goes to full power load. That is why he is asking about auto throttle.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #9  
My FILs Honda EU2000 runs the RPM's at what is needed for the load.

as noted its inverter based.

meaning the output of the inverter is directly proprtional to the DC current input. (the more output needed the more dc input needed) DC input current is simply a function of how fast you spin the DC generator and therefor how fast you run the gas engine powering the DC generator.

/ Anyone add auto throttle to a generator? #10  
Boy, you'd think they could build in a variable speed belt configured system (I.E Snomobile/ATV style) that would keep the generator side turning at the right RPM's and allow the engine to take a 'breather' during 'light' loads! (Pun Intended!)!!! :D ~Scotty

That's not a bad idea. Perfect this and you'll be rich.

You'll at least be on the best friend list of most TBNers