Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B6100

Default Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?

Hello, hopefully the title says it all. Here's where I'm at, I have a Generac 4000XL, is does throttle down when no load but even a light bulb makes it full throttle. No in between. My FILs Honda EU2000 runs the RPM's at what is needed for the load. Anyone ever modify their gen to do this? That Honda is amazingly cheap to run but of course an expensive unit to buy. Thoughts?
    Mike
    B6100 w/ power steering - link below
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...has-power.html

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Anyone add auto throttle to a generator?

The honda can do that because it is built on inverter technology. That's part of the reason it's expensive.

You'll have to check your generac specs, but I think it has to run full speed to get the right Hz and voltage. That's why it throttles up all the way for even a little lightbulb.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Veteran Member

What Iplay said. The frequency comes from the engine rpm.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    What Iplay said. The frequency comes from the engine rpm.
    Boy, you'd think they could build in a variable speed belt configured system (I.E Snomobile/ATV style) that would keep the generator side turning at the right RPM's and allow the engine to take a 'breather' during 'light' loads! (Pun Intended!)!!! ~Scotty

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B6100

Ah, I forgot about the inverter part of the Honda. I can run a drill at idle on the Generac but have to hold the governor to do it. I can easily monitor the voltage but do not have a scope to make sure wave is good.
    Mike
    B6100 w/ power steering - link below
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...has-power.html

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    The honda can do that because it is built on inverter technology. That's part of the reason it's expensive.

You'll have to check your generac specs, but I think it has to run full speed to get the right Hz and voltage. That's why it throttles up all the way for even a little lightbulb.
    Auto throttle is perhaps Honda's best feature. Honda's are expensive but will run all night and then some on a single fill up.

RPW

You can run a drill, saw and a few other motor loads because they don't care what frequency the power supplies but only the voltage and sufficient current to power the tool. That's why you can run your generac at idle and still get your drill to work.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by RPW View Post
    You can run a drill, saw and a few other motor loads because they don't care what frequency the power supplies but only the voltage and sufficient current to power the tool. That's why you can run your generac at idle and still get your drill to work.
    His Generac won't run a drill at idle. It goes to full power load. That is why he is asking about auto throttle.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Quote Originally Posted by KubotainNH View Post
    My FILs Honda EU2000 runs the RPM's at what is needed for the load.
    as noted its inverter based.

meaning the output of the inverter is directly proprtional to the DC current input. (the more output needed the more dc input needed) DC input current is simply a function of how fast you spin the DC generator and therefor how fast you run the gas engine powering the DC generator.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    Boy, you'd think they could build in a variable speed belt configured system (I.E Snomobile/ATV style) that would keep the generator side turning at the right RPM's and allow the engine to take a 'breather' during 'light' loads! (Pun Intended!)!!! ~Scotty
    That's not a bad idea. Perfect this and you'll be rich.

You'll at least be on the best friend list of most TBNers
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast