Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter?

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #21  
Another thing to remember is to place the nails or screws (according to Morton nails are preferable for the selfhealing effect) on the roof somewhat out of center of the rib and in about 60 to 70 deg angle. The fastener dimples the rib if the depression is on the top it will hold water. If it is somewhat on the side than the water drains away. It is also harder to pull the fastener by vertical force.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #22  
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great tips. A lot of good ideas. I called Menards and they do indeed rent a shear. Its $55 for 10 hours. Not to bad of a price. They said to buy the shear is $1,100.00 so that is out of the question. I ended up deciding to use a tin snips for now. I'm doing 9 sheets on the roof and now that I know I can purchase the rest of the sheets (for the back wall) cut to length I'll plan to do that. The only panels I would have to cut then would be on the ends.

I think my nibblers cost $35 at Harbor Freight.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #24  
I for got to add I spray the cut's with clear lacquer to stop the rust the guy I buy my metal from suggested doing it.

tom

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #25  
The spray lacquer I understand--also a good idea to slow down rust on other surfaces that you don't want to repaint because of color matching problems.

The self healing--news to me, but lots of things are news to me. :D

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #26  
Years ago my daddy taught me how to cut a sheet metal panel the easy way.
All it takes is two sticks and a length of bailing wire.
Lay a length of wire on the ground and place the panel on top of it.
Make a cut in each end of the panel where you want the cut to start and end.
Bring one end of the wire up through the cut on one end and tie it to one of the sticks.
Lay the stick across the end of the panel.
Pull the other end up through the cut on the other end and wrap it around the second stick.
Lay a plank on either side of the cut.
Now standing on the panel, one foot on either side of the cut, pull up on the stick.
As you pull up the wire will cut the panel.
Roll the wire onto the stick and pull up again.
Continue till the cut is finished.
It is surprisingly easy to do and makes a straight cut.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #27  
Years ago my daddy taught me how to cut a sheet metal panel the easy way.
All it takes is two sticks and a length of bailing wire.
Lay a length of wire on the ground and place the panel on top of it.
Make a cut in each end of the panel where you want the cut to start and end.
Bring one end of the wire up through the cut on one end and tie it to one of the sticks.
Lay the stick across the end of the panel.
Pull the other end up through the cut on the other end and wrap it around the second stick.
Lay a plank on either side of the cut.
Now standing on the panel, one foot on either side of the cut, pull up on the stick.
As you pull up the wire will cut the panel.
Roll the wire onto the stick and pull up again.
Continue till the cut is finished.
It is surprisingly easy to do and makes a straight cut.

Eh?????? :confused:

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #28  
I think there are some people confusing regular carbide blades, with metal cutting blades made to cut metal. The metal cutting blades have a different angle on the teeth and the rake is different. I have the 8 in Milwaukee metal cutting skill saw, and it cuts quite well. I also have the Dewalt 14 in metal cutting chop saw. The blades for the metal cutting saws are different.

The plasma cutter is the fastest way to cut, except for the shear at the panel place.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #29  
I think there are some people confusing regular carbide blades, with metal cutting blades made to cut metal. The metal cutting blades have a different angle on the teeth and the rake is different. I have the 8 in Milwaukee metal cutting skill saw, and it cuts quite well. I also have the Dewalt 14 in metal cutting chop saw. The blades for the metal cutting saws are different.

The plasma cutter is the fastest way to cut, except for the shear at the panel place.

A plasma cttuer for steel siding? :eek: Come on JJ.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #30  
i had a job putting up steel sheds and we use a 5 inch angle grinder with a zip cut wheel couple of plug in ones and an 18 volt dewalt fast and nice edges