Pole barn roof need help deciding.

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding. #1  

mark2610d

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240HSTC
I'm in the process of building my pole barn workshop and need help deciding on a way to make my building look good while using a shed type roof.

My story is I have been collecting building materials for the past few years getting good deals and trading around to get my materials for this workshop project. I have all the materials to build a 30x60 workshop with a 12-13 foot ceiling. I also have enough steel bar joists to do the roof and want to use them because I have little money in them. I do however not like the way a flat/shed type roof looks so my real questions are is there any way to make the shed style roof look decent with out a whole lot of expence? Anyone have any ideas of how to make it look more fancy? Anyone have any pictures to share?

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding. #2  
when You say "shed" are you meaning High in front slope to the rear?
by how much pitch? I've built a couple comercial buildings with 60 ft shed trust add a 6 ft more hang over apron accross front, can either come from peek or drop down some to install lighting pannels accross the apron,
here some pictures of each, really not the best examples but an idea what I'm talking about,

Last edited:
   / Pole barn roof need help deciding. #3  
Just my personal preference, but I like a building with extended eves. The shed I built, (42' x 48' with 14' side walls, has 2' eves on 4 sides. It is also nice when the weather is unfavorable.

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding.
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at doing about a 14ft front wall with 2ft of drop over about 30 ft wide. The back wall will be about 12ft. The building will be 60ft long. I like the idea of using a overhang. I also thought of doing a 2 tone on the paint to help with the looks.

Keep the ideas coming.

Attachments

• 30x60 pole barn shed.jpg
    30x60 pole barn shed.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,554
   / Pole barn roof need help deciding. #5  
Is that low of a pitch common around there? I'm in Michigan, so our codes wouldn't be the same... and maybe ours is strictly influenced by snow loads, but... I think we have to keep our pitch at 3/12 or 3.5/12 at a minimum. Over a 30 foot span, that exceeds 7' of drop.

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding. #6  
Is that low of a pitch common around there? I'm in Michigan, so our codes wouldn't be the same... and maybe ours is strictly influenced by snow loads, but... I think we have to keep our pitch at 3/12 or 3.5/12 at a minimum. Over a 30 foot span, that exceeds 7' of drop.

Yeah! I was thinking the same, 2 ft fall over 30 foot .....what does this make the roof pitch? something like less than a 1/12... roughly gives 8 inch fall in every 10 ft. ....
mark2610d I see you are from Tenn, do you get much snow up your way?
if so you should consider a bit more fall/slope to the roof system, snow can weigh pretty heavy on a roof this flat, If you need the 12 ft at rear then go a bit higher in the front, perhaps 2 ft more,
will you be using tel.poles? or 6x6's if tel.poles then you can find them plenty long enough, You are however limited to 16ft 6x6 and i can then understand only 14 ft with 2 ft in ground, the side wall metal comes a long as you need it...

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding.
My plans are to use all steel pallet shelving as the outside walls. The roof will be steel bar joist (16"tall) on 4.5 ft centers. The metal roofing I have is 19 gauge (very heavy duty).

Here in Tennessee we get maybe one or two snows every 3-4 years that would be over 3 inches, so snow here is no problem. Also, I have looked at other buildings in my area using the same bar joists I have and many have flat roofs or roof pitches of 1/12 or 1.5/12.

Also I will be using the pallet rack steel bars for my roof lathing. Each bar is rated 4000 lbs each at 9ft spans and I would guess double that on 4.5 ft centers. My outside wall stringers will also be steel pallet rack bars as well as 19 gauge metal (.044" thickness).

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding. #8  
We are in a very heavy snow area and I work for a commercial building contractor, we build buildings all the time with a 1/8" to 1/4" per foot slope (basiclly flat). The roof slope has little to do with snow loads and more to do with roofing material and water shed. A lot of the buildings we do have a parapet wall around three sides of them to hide the roof profile and are only open on the back side so water can shed, and or have interior gutter systems and a parapet wall all the way around to hide roof top mounted HVAC systems.

/ Pole barn roof need help deciding. #9  
Mark,
Be careful with your ratings for the pallet racking beams. The capacities are usually per pair. For a 9' beam that is 5" tall the rating is 5,373 lbs PER PAIR. Also, the capacities vary greatly for different manufacturers. If you have any questions on the capacity let me know or you can go here to get more info
Edwards Storage: Commercial & Industrial Racks; Pallet