Build a 3 row planter?

/ Build a 3 row planter? #1  

chvojka

Just wondering if anyone has built a small 3 row planter for a garden tractor?
Or a 2 row planter? Or should I just buy one Although, I love to build.

/ Build a 3 row planter? #2  
Why not just buy an old 4 or 6 row planter for a few hundred bucks on an auction and cut it down or use the units on a lighter homemade frame..!

/ Build a 3 row planter? #3  
I think some depends on what one wants to plant, as the seed size may make a difference to how the planter is made,

also if it is a double disk opener, or a hoe type, or a single disk

another thing that may make a difference is the type of drive it has, if each unit is powered from the press wheels or if there are transport wheels, and if there gang driven or press wheel driven,

the lift type

I took a old grain drill and cut it in half and made a small, small grain drill,

and have seen the old I think it is #71 planter units by john Deere used in single or double row units, (before plant monitors most farmers had a single row unit to go and replant rows that plugged),

If your going to re make a larger planter, in to a smaller unit, one may want to check on parts availability, (plates for varous seeds), and that it will plant what you want,

if your looking for a garden type that can plant a variety of seeds, may be a Planet JR (off of ebay or similar) could be a possibility, they still make a type of Planet Jr, Cole Planter - Home