Skid steer auger build

/ Skid steer auger build #1  

SuperDuty335

Silver Member
I didn't build the actual auger, but I did gather/build/install the rest of the assembly for a skid steer mounted auger. The auger itself is a 9" diam. with replaceable knives and spiral tip. The gearbox is a 58 horsepower, 3.14 ratio Omni brand with a Chief Hyd. motor with max. torque of 3026 in/lbs and up to 20gpm with a max. 2400psi. The final rpms at max. pressure/flow will be around 117 which, in retrospect may be too much; or maybe it will bore really fast! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?:D

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 397
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 354
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 405
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 224
   / Skid steer auger build #2  
Where did you get the hyd motor and auger drive?

/ Skid steer auger build #3  
Where are you located? I would love to help out if you are in the Tri-State.

/ Skid steer auger build
Bare-Co and Surplus Center have gearboxes. Bailey and Surplus Center have hyd. motors. After I tallied all the expenses (especially the Omni gearbox) I could have bought an auger for a little more money; It was fun though! :) I'm in NC.

/ Skid steer auger build #5  
I didn't build the actual auger, but I did gather/build/install the rest of the assembly for a skid steer mounted auger. The auger itself is a 9" diam. with replaceable knives and spiral tip. The gearbox is a 58 horsepower, 3.14 ratio Omni brand with a Chief Hyd. motor with max. torque of 3026 in/lbs and up to 20gpm with a max. 2400psi. The final rpms at max. pressure/flow will be around 117 which, in retrospect may be too much; or maybe it will bore really fast! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?:D

It looks great! I got a auger, gear box from a 3pt and it had a hyd motor already mounted on it, from a DOT sale. I quick mounted it to used but it's just rig up. Your on the other hand look a lot better then mine. I have a light duty skid steer I would like to make a lighter gear box's and more compact later.
I made my auger bigger. I needed a 20" auger for telephone poles and I had three 10" augers one look like it was cut down smaller to a 10" so I use it to make it bigger. I add 1/8" plate steel and a plasma cut. I made a jig out of wood and cut two 1" hole in the wood for the tip of the plasma cut can sit in. I drill a hole for the pivot in the center of the the steel and the wood jig. I made two 20" circles and a cut a 10" out the inside. Then I started to weld it starting at the bottom and pulling the steel up with a ratchet strips and welding it as I bent it up. Then I added a cutting edge out of 1/2" X 1 1/2" steel bar. It works great with only a few spirals on the auger.

/ Skid steer auger build #7  
........SNIP......SNIP.......! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?:D

Nice build! the RPM'S might be a little fast (OK really fast :eek:)

You sold your skid steer :confused: what where you thinking :rolleyes:

I'd love to try it out! Is it for sale? how much? When are you coming to New Mexico on vacation to deliver it for me? I live close to I 40 so it would be a straight shot for you ;)

Larry

/ Skid steer auger build
New Mexico. Hmmm... if I leave now it will take 12.3 days in my old truck. I'm anxious to try it out to see just how fast it is; I would prefer ~70rpms. I goofed on my calculations when I ordered the motor. Simple division is so hard sometimes.:rolleyes:

/ Skid steer auger build #9  
Tell you what I will meet you at Tucumcari, NM You can be on your way back home before Larry knows what happened.

steve

/ Skid steer auger build
Hire one of those top secret spaceships from Dulce to fly out here and pick it up. I hear they scoot along at 7000mph.