Default Skid steer auger build

I didn't build the actual auger, but I did gather/build/install the rest of the assembly for a skid steer mounted auger. The auger itself is a 9" diam. with replaceable knives and spiral tip. The gearbox is a 58 horsepower, 3.14 ratio Omni brand with a Chief Hyd. motor with max. torque of 3026 in/lbs and up to 20gpm with a max. 2400psi. The final rpms at max. pressure/flow will be around 117 which, in retrospect may be too much; or maybe it will bore really fast! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -007-jpg   -008-jpg   -009-jpg   -011-jpg  

Bronze Member

Default Re: Skid steer auger build

Where did you get the hyd motor and auger drive?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Where are you located? I would love to help out if you are in the Tri-State.

Bare-Co and Surplus Center have gearboxes. Bailey and Surplus Center have hyd. motors. After I tallied all the expenses (especially the Omni gearbox) I could have bought an auger for a little more money; It was fun though! I'm in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty335 View Post
    I didn't build the actual auger, but I did gather/build/install the rest of the assembly for a skid steer mounted auger. The auger itself is a 9" diam. with replaceable knives and spiral tip. The gearbox is a 58 horsepower, 3.14 ratio Omni brand with a Chief Hyd. motor with max. torque of 3026 in/lbs and up to 20gpm with a max. 2400psi. The final rpms at max. pressure/flow will be around 117 which, in retrospect may be too much; or maybe it will bore really fast! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?
    It looks great! I got a auger, gear box from a 3pt and it had a hyd motor already mounted on it, from a DOT sale. I quick mounted it to used but it's just rig up. Your on the other hand look a lot better then mine. I have a light duty skid steer I would like to make a lighter gear box's and more compact later.
    I made my auger bigger. I needed a 20" auger for telephone poles and I had three 10" augers one look like it was cut down smaller to a 10" so I use it to make it bigger. I add 1/8" plate steel and a plasma cut. I made a jig out of wood and cut two 1" hole in the wood for the tip of the plasma cut can sit in. I drill a hole for the pivot in the center of the the steel and the wood jig. I made two 20" circles and a cut a 10" out the inside. Then I started to weld it starting at the bottom and pulling the steel up with a ratchet strips and welding it as I bent it up. Then I added a cutting edge out of 1/2" X 1 1/2" steel bar. It works great with only a few spirals on the auger.

Cool! That's one way to do it.

Tractor
    Jinma 354, Ford 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty335 View Post
    ........SNIP......SNIP.......! I sold my skid steer before I finished it so it has yet to be tested. Anyone want to try it out?
    Nice build! the RPM'S might be a little fast (OK really fast )

You sold your skid steer what where you thinking

I'd love to try it out! Is it for sale? how much? When are you coming to New Mexico on vacation to deliver it for me? I live close to I 40 so it would be a straight shot for you

Larry
    My Fortune cookies:
    If you have to ask if you can do something, you probably can't.
    Life is short, especially if you forget to wake up the next day.
    He who hurries wastes time.
    If you must select between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before.
    Tractor hydraulics is not rocket science.

New Mexico. Hmmm... if I leave now it will take 12.3 days in my old truck. I'm anxious to try it out to see just how fast it is; I would prefer ~70rpms. I goofed on my calculations when I ordered the motor. Simple division is so hard sometimes.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Tell you what I will meet you at Tucumcari, NM You can be on your way back home before Larry knows what happened.

steve

Hire one of those top secret spaceships from Dulce to fly out here and pick it up. I hear they scoot along at 7000mph.