Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch)

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Finally got my handy hitch welded together, painted up, and ready to hook up to the tractor! The first picture is my parts list. I basically started with a medium duty 1" reese towhitch for a small pick that I got off of craigslist cheap. It was an adjustable width design which is what the three holes on either side were for. I got a 2" receiver at TSC and welded it on top of the plate that the safety chains hook to. The upright member is 2" square tubing, the braces on either side of it are made from 1 1/2" angle stock. The two end plates for the draft link pins are made from 1 1/2" thick bar stock, while the two pieces at the top for the top link pin are made from 3/8 thick bar stock. I ordered some 3/8 weld on grab hooks from AgriSupply. The little triangle brace is also 3/8" stock.

3ptReesehitchadapter001.jpg

The next picture is after all the welding was done. I confess this is not my welding, but I wish it were. I was fortunate to find a retired welder (also through craigslist) who works pretty cheap, he only charged me $25 for about 1 hr and 45min of welding. He does good work, and he works fast too so I will probably use him again.

3ptReesehitchadapter002.jpg

This is a closeup of the reese hitch. I included this so you can see the offset I had to put in it because of the 1/4" thick plate made for the tow chains. I could have cut off some of the reese hitch to slide it back further, or maybe filled in the gap with some more material but I decided to leave it as is. The reason this 2" receiver is on top is because if you look at the first pic real close, you will notice there is 1" receiver hiding underneath the plate for the tow hooks.

3ptReesehitchadapter004.jpg

Here's the finished product, I think it looks great!! You may notice I left the top open, that's for future expansion? I don't have a GN trailer so I didn't need another ball on top. I may try and add a receiver on top made from either standard 2" sq tube or maybe some round tubing so I can add a short (prolly about 4ft long) light duty boom pole.. Looking back, I now wish I had made the vertical member about 4" taller though, that would give me more area to weld (and brace) a receiver on top of it for the boom. I can make it work as it is, but will probably have to add some more tubing on top of it. I may weld a large D-ring midways of the vertical member later on too. Now, to come up with some attachments to use with it. I have an idea for a "pan" of sorts to use to skid logs with. I also want to make an adapter that will let me pop in a subsoiler, or change it out to a middlebuster for a one row plow. I have some other ideas for improvements/changes I want to do/make for my tractor and/or the attachments I use with it. I'm already working on a bracket to carry my chainsaw and a fire extinguisher next. I think you will like it once you see it. I'm gonna copy the way Foggy did his tool box for his 790 (hope you don't mind Foggy!). Also, I have plans to fabricate a light bar to go on top of the ROPS too. Just have to find time to do all this neat stuff, but it's deer season from now until Jan 1st and I need to fill my freezer!

HandyHitch001.jpg

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #2  
Nice. I use mine quite a bit. During the mowing season, I leave it on to move my trailers, mow under/around them, then move them back. It is one of my most used attachments.

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #3  
Nice build. Just wondering why you did not just buy the hitch tube and use a piece of 2"x2" stock for the horizontal part instead of starting with a hitch that was the wrong size? Probably would have been cheaper. Also wondering why you put the lower hitch pins in that way, pointing in?

Chris

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch)
Chris, I bought the reese hitch thinking it would fit on my Saturn Vue, which is my daily driver. I wanted a hitch so I could add a hitch haul to carry a cooler etc on the hitch hauler. When I realized it would not fit, I had to come up with another use for it! Looks like I will have to go to uhaul and have one installed that's made just for the Vue. The 1" receiver actually strengthens the plate as it goes from the plate to the frontside of the 2" sq tube and is welded directly to it.

The hitch pins are reversible, they are only finger tight at the moment. I have the easy change so it should work/fit with the pins set either way.

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #5  
This weekend I built a 3pt hitch and log hauler. I put a cutting edge on the bottom to push up logs with out using the FEL. I haven't tried it yet hope it works good.

Attachments

• PA200276.jpg
    PA200276.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 2,345
  • PA200278_01.JPG
    PA200278_01.JPG
    975.7 KB · Views: 879
  • PA200280.jpg
    PA200280.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 1,182
  • PA200277_01.jpg
    PA200277_01.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,028
   / Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #6  
Kebo, good job in putting something to use that would have just collected dust in some corner. I would have 2 suggestions: 1) round off the corners of the 3 pt attach points. (An angle grinder with a cutoff disk and a flap disk will do wonders. Shirt sleeves, elbows and shin bones will thank you.) 2) with the top open the bottom needs to be also. (Water and moist debris will collect.)

Mike

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #7  
This weekend I built a 3pt hitch and log hauler. I put a cutting edge on the bottom to push up logs with out using the FEL. I haven't tried it yet hope it works good.

What is the tray that is between the grab hooks? Is that for a winch?

Mike

Kebo, good job in putting something to use that would have just collected dust in some corner. I would have 2 suggestions: 1) round off the corners of the 3 pt attach points. (An angle grinder with a cutoff disk and a flap disk will do wonders. Shirt sleeves, elbows and shin bones will thank you.) 2) with the top open the bottom needs to be also. (Water and moist debris will collect.)

Mike
Mike, I did file all the sharp corners so they are rounded off somewhat, so they're not like little daggers waiting to jab someone (me).

Also, the welder made one goof in his welding sequence.... He welded the hitch on first, then he added the upright vertical member. Once he did that, he couldn't get to the inside weld on that vertical piece so it has a narrow 2 inch gap at the bottom of it to let water drain out. Looks at the third picture closely and you can see what I mean. I won't be storing this one outside anyway. Thanks though!

What is the tray that is between the grab hooks? Is that for a winch?

Mike

I wondered that too, I bet it's for loose chains to lay in.

/ Here's my 3pt Reese hitch adapter (Handy Hitch) #10  
Built one just about like that this past summer. Comes in real handy and sure makes hooking and unhooking easier. I painted mine bright yellow, for some reason these things seem to be shin busters :D