brush tree cutter

/ brush tree cutter #1  

dirt clod

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3300, m5700, case 580se
How well would this work????

modify a bush hog so that a cover on the rear can be raised up like on the big tree cutters to allow cutting small trees and instead of having 2 swing blades have 4,6 or maybe 8 standard swing blades so that each blade would take less of a bite? Blades could even have a saw pattern cut on end to allow for even more small multi bites.Wheels could be mounted one on each side of the bush hog like they are on the pull behind atv mowers. Maybe even a push bar on top to insure trees fall away from tractor.As such it wouldn't be anything new just a combination of other designs........ multi-blades like a flail cutter, blades notched like a gator mower blade, side wheels like pull mower, rear opens like tree cutter hogs, push bar like the tree hog cutter.
should make for relatively safe method of removing small trees that a compact would normally not be able to do as well as items cut smaller IMHO.

/ brush tree cutter #3  
Sounds interesting, you still have to drive over whatever you are cutting. That seems like you would start beating up the bottom of your engine, steering, etc.

Have you checked out forestry clearing saws? Husky and Stihl both make them. Like a weed whacker, you don't need to bend over for every blessed sapling.

Dave.

/ brush tree cutter #4  
I think I know what you are talking about, I intended to try to make one a few years ago and didn't do it. I was going to take a wore out bush hog a modify it by exposing part of the blades. You would have to be careful and it sounds dangerous....

As far as driving over stuff I had planned on only backing into brush.
I think he is talking about cutting more brush than you want to tackle with a chainsaw or brushcutter.

/ brush tree cutter #7  
I helped make one my 3rd year in metal shop in votech 12 years ago. An old man we made several items over those 4 years had bought a heavy Woods cutter and had us look at a Brown cutter. We made a solid stump jumper out of 1 1/4 inch plate with 4 blades and cut the back out of deck and trimmed the cut with heavy tubing. Then we found some ssprings to make the shock absorber bumper and also over the deck we made a screened cage looking apperatus that was adjustable for a sapling pusher. It took our class about 2 months to make. We also put the 2 tail wheels on an also a place for 2 front corner wheels for field work. What he did was back into the saplings and let it ct them off at the base and then walk them over mowing the limbs that were up in the air. That left a nice mat for driving over and later would burn easily. We do this with our tractors here but chain saw them and when they fall mow the limbs.
He cleared 25 acres of saplins like this with his Votech mower.

/ brush tree cutter
thats what i'm talking about Taylortractornut.
clearing old fences and clearing for cross fencing is more than I want to use my sthil brushcutter or chain saw on 160 acres. Anymore details you can give me?

/ brush tree cutter #9  
Not really many more details, we basically just copied a Brown cutter. One thing we did later was the adjustable sceen on the back. We put a cylinder on it and made 4 curved rake teeth to make it help pull the tangled saplings down if their tops got hung in others.