Building permits required???

/ Building permits required??? #51  
1*Fortunately, there are some places left where you don't need permits.
2*in those areas, buildings aren't falling down, things aren't blowing up, things are still safe.
3* Permits are just another tax under a different name. 4*Unfortunately I don't live in one of them places.
1*Rite on!
2*How very true. Houses and property in Washington Co. are no different than they are anywher else in the country.
3*1*&2* proves the truth of this.

"4*I'm glad we don't have such government bureaucracy here in my county .
There is no building code or building permits so no need of a building department;LB.
Hain't freedom wonderful!"
5*Just the type of person that calls the office all the time to turn the guy down the street in.
6*They think it's all fine and dandy until someone puts up a building it the setbacks or build a POS, then they call a bitching and want us to march right out.
5* & 6*Yep building codes causing conflict between neighbors is a pretty common thing .

7*Yeah, I love having to repair stuff not built to code. Can't tell you how much fun it is.
7*How do you do that in places where there is no code?

8*I live in a rural county in Missouri. You can build ANYTHING without a permit,including a house.
8*That's the way it should be.
There is no need for Big Brother sticking their nose into a property owners affairs.

9* Not every place requires permits.
10*I know of counties and even municipalities that don't require permits other than for a septic.
11*There are areas where only electrical work requires a permit.
9*Thank God.
10*That's the only thing in Washington CO.that requires the Counties approval permit or inspection.
11*I have never been required to obtain a permit or inspection from any Gov. agency to install electric service on my property here in Wash.Co.
Been living on the place for 43 years.
I did have to get the Elect Cos. aproval though.

12*I've made some good money bringing stuff others have done up to code!
12*There is no code here to bring it up to so it's likely ya wouldn't get rich around here. :D

Might want to verify your info, LB [/quote]

/ Building permits required??? #52  
But the County does.

1*LBrown, on this and on other threads you have repeatedly stated this.
2*As someone who lived in So. Ohio for many years and did a considerable amount of building there,
3*I take exception to your oft repeated claim that "we ain't got no stinkin' building permits here".
4*Attached are the Washington County Building Permits forms.
5* In the previous post, I provided the link to the Washington Building department, which subscribes to the (BBOC)State of Ohio Building Code 2002.

1*The orginal theam of the thread concerns private property not commerical or business real estate.
I kept my comments geared toward private property as was the theam/intent of the thread;therefore what i stated was /is 100% correct.
2*But did you live and build in washington Co?
I owned my own Housing Company here in Washing Co. from 1973 to 2004.
How long did you live in SO Ohio?
I've lived in Washing co for 68 years 11 months and 1 day.
3*But it's true excep for the septc permit which I stated in the very begining.
4*As I stated In another post This applies only to commerical /business construction not to a private individuals property .
5*I know U did but it don't apply to individual private property owners which is what the thread is about.

/ Building permits required??? #53  
I think this is beating a dead horse. I doubt continuing will help the original poster or subsequent readers.

/ Building permits required??? #54  
Lots of advice and allot of varying opinions. I've worked as a contractor in California and Texas, but only in a few counties in each state. The difference between the two is huge, so I would imagine that it's going to be like that all over the country. Regardless of what it is where you live, the only thing that matters is where the barn in question is located.

If it was built without permits and is not up to code, you can admit it and see what happens. I've been through this in CA, and the client was told to tear down the illegal building that he built. I wasn't licensed there, but worked on the side to help people out and make a buck for myself. In this case, there was only a few things wrong with the building to bring it up to code, and a big problem with it's setback. I suggested that he fight it after bringing it up to code. He was told that he had to tear it down and that there was no other option, but after talking to the commisioners, not the inspector, he was told that if he could get a varience to the law if he met code and had every neighbor in a radius to sign a letter stating that they would not complain about the building being built on the property line. I forget the distance, but he went out every night and got every single home in the radius to sign the petetion. He then went in front of the commision and was granted the variance to allow the building to remain where it was. He passed the inspection and it became a legal building. It took several months to get it all worked out, and a few weekends of my time to make the changes to the building, but in the end, he made it happen.

Another client of mine was one of those guys who really went out of his way to mess with city hall. It really didn't matter what it was, he just liked to challenge them. He even ran for office, but just on paper. He never raised any money or campagned, he just entered the race and pointed out everything that he didn't like about those in office. His favorite game, or at least to me it seemed that way, was to build something and get in trouble for it. Then he'd fight them by explaining that it had always been there, but he had just fixed it up, or remodeled it. He even did this with a pond on some land he owned, but build without a permit where you had to have a permit. He had dozers in there taking out trees and buildng the dam. They brought out arial pictures to show that there was never a pond there, and he said that there was and it had been dry for decades. Claimed that the dam was washed out, but before that, it had held water and was grandfathered in before their laws were passed about ponds and dams. He was lying through his teeth, having a great time with it, and in the end, he won his case.

Where I live now, code is by the city you are working in. If outside the city, then the state has code for contractors doing work for paying clients. If the homeowner is doing their own work, then there is no permit process, code inforcement or inspection. There is also a $10,000 threshold on when a permit is required for work. If I do a remodel that is under ten grand outside of city limits, no permit is needed.

The original poster needs to find out what the law is, what the status is on his building and what is required to brind power to it. The actual process of running the wire and making it happen is extremly simple. Figuring out if it's legal and if he wants to follow those laws is where it gets interesting. Does the code apply to the homeowner doing their own work? Or is there a way to have it grandfathered in to the existing building or home? Will the power company even ask for a permit or just install power to the meter? Here in Texas, you just call the power company and tell them what you want, then wait for them to show up and do the work. Most of the time they are so easy going that they will help out or make it right if you get it wrong. My brother just went through this at a house he just bought, but didn't have power to where he wanted it. I won't tell what he offered them, but they took out all the branches and old lines for him to get it done when they didn't have to. Sometimes a kind word and a little sugar will go a long ways when trying to get something done.

Whatever you do, make sure it's to code anyways. There is a very good reason for the rules in the code book and by following those rules, it will be done right without any concerns for safety. Every time that I've come across a disaster or failure in a home, it's because somebody didn't do it to code and took a shortcut. I've seen homes burned down and rooms gutted by fires because of a shortcut that would have cost less then ten dollars to do it right.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Building permits required??? #55  
^^^ Wise words of experience...

/ Building permits required??? #56  
Lots of advice and allot of varying opinions. I've worked as a contractor in California and Texas, but only in a few counties in each state. The difference between the two is huge, so I would imagine that it's going to be like that all over the country. Regardless of what it is where you live, the only thing that matters is where the barn in question is located.

If it was built without permits and is not up to code, you can admit it and see what happens. I've been through this in CA, and the client was told to tear down the illegal building that he built. I wasn't licensed there, but worked on the side to help people out and make a buck for myself. In this case, there was only a few things wrong with the building to bring it up to code, and a big problem with it's setback. I suggested that he fight it after bringing it up to code. He was told that he had to tear it down and that there was no other option, but after talking to the commisioners, not the inspector, he was told that if he could get a varience to the law if he met code and had every neighbor in a radius to sign a letter stating that they would not complain about the building being built on the property line. I forget the distance, but he went out every night and got every single home in the radius to sign the petetion. He then went in front of the commision and was granted the variance to allow the building to remain where it was. He passed the inspection and it became a legal building. It took several months to get it all worked out, and a few weekends of my time to make the changes to the building, but in the end, he made it happen.

Another client of mine was one of those guys who really went out of his way to mess with city hall. It really didn't matter what it was, he just liked to challenge them. He even ran for office, but just on paper. He never raised any money or campagned, he just entered the race and pointed out everything that he didn't like about those in office. His favorite game, or at least to me it seemed that way, was to build something and get in trouble for it. Then he'd fight them by explaining that it had always been there, but he had just fixed it up, or remodeled it. He even did this with a pond on some land he owned, but build without a permit where you had to have a permit. He had dozers in there taking out trees and buildng the dam. They brought out arial pictures to show that there was never a pond there, and he said that there was and it had been dry for decades. Claimed that the dam was washed out, but before that, it had held water and was grandfathered in before their laws were passed about ponds and dams. He was lying through his teeth, having a great time with it, and in the end, he won his case.

Where I live now, code is by the city you are working in. If outside the city, then the state has code for contractors doing work for paying clients. If the homeowner is doing their own work, then there is no permit process, code inforcement or inspection. There is also a $10,000 threshold on when a permit is required for work. If I do a remodel that is under ten grand outside of city limits, no permit is needed.

The original poster needs to find out what the law is, what the status is on his building and what is required to brind power to it. The actual process of running the wire and making it happen is extremly simple. Figuring out if it's legal and if he wants to follow those laws is where it gets interesting. Does the code apply to the homeowner doing their own work? Or is there a way to have it grandfathered in to the existing building or home? Will the power company even ask for a permit or just install power to the meter? Here in Texas, you just call the power company and tell them what you want, then wait for them to show up and do the work. Most of the time they are so easy going that they will help out or make it right if you get it wrong. My brother just went through this at a house he just bought, but didn't have power to where he wanted it. I won't tell what he offered them, but they took out all the branches and old lines for him to get it done when they didn't have to. Sometimes a kind word and a little sugar will go a long ways when trying to get something done.

Whatever you do, make sure it's to code anyways. There is a very good reason for the rules in the code book and by following those rules, it will be done right without any concerns for safety. Every time that I've come across a disaster or failure in a home, it's because somebody didn't do it to code and took a shortcut. I've seen homes burned down and rooms gutted by fires because of a shortcut that would have cost less then ten dollars to do it right.

Good luck,
Eddie

Well said, Eddie

/ Building permits required??? #57  
I was wrong. Eddie added value to this post after I suggested nothing better will come of this. Oh, well. I've been wrong before.

/ Building permits required??? #58  
The best advice given on this thread was just handed down by Eddie! Great advice Eddie,and I know exactly what you mean about do it right....I have had to try to get final inspections years later on jobs that werent properly finished....it can take months to sort it all out and cost alot more than doing it right the first time.

/ Building permits required??? #59  
Whether a permit was required for the building when it was built depended on the local codes at the time it was put up. The OP may be asking for trouble to go around asking if he was required to have had a permit for the original construction. But if the OP is able to confirm that no permit was required, then I suppose it puts this concern to rest.

Whatever the codes might have been when the building was put up, the question is now whether he has to get an electric permit and have an electrical inspection to put power in this building. Call the local electric utility and ask them what is required to run power to an existing building that has no power. They should be able to get the OP pointed in the right direction for what electrical permits and inspections are required now, if any.

But I'd be careful who I asked about the original building permit requirements.