Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6500 4WD

Default Shop Floor Help

I suffer from lots O' leg pain. It's really much worst standing on concrete. I can go from working outside semi-comfortably, to sit down pain, after 5 minutes of standing on concrete. Dr's. can't seem to figure out much.

I have done searches "shop flooring" and have not come up with anything new.

At any rate, my problem is I need advice on what kind of floor to put in a new workshop. This shop, (actually my attached woodshed for the last 35 years) will be used mostly for working with metal, with all the sparks, and slag that involved. I am hoping, to spend the winters in here. My wife is also hoping that I do...

Right now I have footings and frost walls up. I can do anything with the floor area. The shop is 10' x 30' It will have a 6' door on one end and a reg.door at other end.

I have all machines on casters. I want to set up a couple of vices. Hoping to set up a small forge in future. Not going to make a sizable welding table. Something big will be welded outside, or in the garage.

Concrete advantages that come to mind = neat/ easy to clean/ can roll machines around easily/ spark proof.
    Disadvantages = Pain and pain.

I like wood, but afraid of the fire hazard. Regardless of what I use I am going to set smoke alarm to go off in the house as well as garage.

I really don't want just a dirt/gravel floor. I've been thinking of pea stone. Also perhaps a combo. of non-concrete and concrete or wood to make machines easier to access. (Having a hard time picturing the "combo" idea in my head). Have to keep in mind that the room is long and narrow so I will be storing machines along wall, and roll out when needed. What ever I use will have gravel, vapor barrier, and insulation under it. Will use Sm. wood stove for heat.

I am going to make some workplaces as sit down friendly, but most of the time I do find it difficult to work with metal sitting down.

I am asking for shared experiences on flooring. What kind of floors have you found comfortable? What would you recommend? I am not set on doing any one thing, and have exhausted my feeble brain thinking bout this.

Thanks very much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_7388-medium-jpg   -100_7390-medium-jpg  
    Please pay attention to what is happening to our great country. My grand children...and yours are depending on us.

Do not take freedom for granted. The freedom you enjoy...someone has paid for...

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: Shop Floor Help

For working and moving tools around, concrete is your only choice. Wood might be a second choice, but it's too easy to burn it or have a spark smoulder for hours in a corner, long after you havce gone to bed.

I would look into special shoes and/or rubber mats. There is a large variety of materials used in floor mats that you should be able to find something that you can stand on for an extended period of time. In some of the production plants that I've been into, where employees have to stand all day long, they have a gel type matt that's kind of weird to walk on, but very comfortable to stand on.

I'd do a search for industrial matting and see what you can find.

Then it would be a simple matter of welding or grinding where they can't cause a fire, or if they did, they would be isolated.

Sorry about your pain, I've had issues myself and it's always a struggle to get anything done when there's no solution to the problem.

Eddie

I would go with the concrete but use anti-fatigue mats. We have them at work for the employees that have to stand one one area all day.

Search Results

Tractor
    Farmnought.Gravely Model L,Gravely Model LI,1941 Clinton two wheeler

Pour the concrete and look into different SHOES!!!
    1945 Allis-Chalmers,1967 Wheelhorse.The wife has a bubble hooded Simplicity and a Dixon.
    Anything green here- has roots or gets spent!!!

I'd add my vote to better shoes.

Any kind of serious shop is going to work best with a concrete floor.

I've had back & leg problems for years and figured out long ago that good quality work boots with gel insoles solve the concrete floor problem nicely.
    No man is an island.
    But, if you tie enough of them together, they make a pretty good raft.

Tractor
    Mahindra 6500 4WD

Yeah, I have tried any number of different shoes. Also wore Orthatics for years. I suspect that using them, -custom made from a foot Dr.,- is responsible for some of my pain today. Felt better when I finally heaved them.

I do use some rubber mats. I will have to look at some others.

"Wineslob" Thanks for the link. Never realized so many different mats were available. I really should get out more.
    Please pay attention to what is happening to our great country. My grand children...and yours are depending on us.

Do not take freedom for granted. The freedom you enjoy...someone has paid for...

Tractor
    Kubota L4400HST, R4 tires, L2228 Quick-attach setup

Concrete floor is your best bet in the long run for yourself and your equipment. I know how you feel...I spent 25 yrs on concrete shop floors (tires & automotive) and now have two complete knee replacements for all my trouble.
    I have a 30X60 shop with a concrete floor that is great to work on and move equipment around. I protect myself by wearing comfortable boots with padded socks to start. I also have stools with backs on them that allow me to sit at my workbench just to get off my feet when necessary. I haven't had to make use of mats yet, but they are a good idea too. Lastly, I try to always think smart when working and avoid situations that may bother my knees and feet. In my case, climbing on ladders seems to aggravate things for me, so I plan ahead to keep ladder climbing to a minimum.
    One thing for sure, I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet, so I plan on enjoying myself and to keep on moving. Mike.

Tractor
    Mahindra 6500 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Costello View Post
    One thing for sure, I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet, so I plan on enjoying myself and to keep on moving. Mike.
    My sentiments exactly! I'm learning something everyday.

"Wineslob" Thanks for the link. Never realized so many different mats were available. I really should get out more.

You're welcome. I hope you find something that works out.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Many years ago, I had to spend a month of 14 hour days walking on concrete.

The only thing that made it easier was gel-filled insoles that I got at a county fair.

Dr. Scholl's was a joke in comparison to these. Don't remember the brand, but I vividly remember that they were so soft & squishy that I almost got seasick the first half-hour walking on them. An hour later you couldn't pry them off me...
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast