Firewood processor ?

/ Firewood processor ? #1  

ericwroth

I have done a search, and found nothing that would help me in the process of building a firewood processor. any help would most excellent.

/ Firewood processor ? #2  
There are dozens of threads in various forums...what would you like to know specifically?

/ Firewood processor ? #4  
youtube.com has tons of videos that will help with ideas.

/ Firewood processor ? #5  
A guy I work with built one out of a baler. He put a wedge on the pluger. It splits a lot of firewood very fast. It takes a few men to keep it fed.

/ Firewood processor ? #6  
You will need some equitment to handle the logs with and this will determine the type of processor you will want to build. Then you need to have a source of wood to feed it. The next thing is to do as others said and watch videos of some in action. Whatever you build keep it simple. If you order any parts for it make sure you can also buy the same part local. I built one this year and I will never go back cutting wood with a chain saw again. I have a simple chain drive feeding the logs to the saw and the saw is a Hyd saw which I put a 24 inch bar on it and it uses a 3/8 inch chain. I have a log clamp on it with an 18 inch stroke clyinder to hold the log in place while cutting it. I tried a cylinder on the saw but did not like it so I made my saw work manual. My log deck is 8 foot long and I stack the logs on it and roll them to the chain feeding the saw. I can get a 1/3 of a cord of wood on it at a time a cord being 4x4x8. I can cut this up in about 15 or 20 minutes. The only time I have to handle the wood is to stack it. I have a splitter on it which uses a 4 x 24 inch cylinder. and I can bypass the splitter if the wood does not need to be split. I started out using all Prince valves but had trouble with them from the start. After talking with the people from Prince I took ther valves off and put cross valves on it because with the cross valves I did not need to buy a power beyond valve for each valve I used and I had the valves on the shelf. When you plump the valves you can plump them in series and they will work fine. The best way to go is asectional valve then you can just add another secion if you want later on. I was going to use a 20 hp Onan engine with a 17 gal pump but ended up using the remotes off my skid steer and they work great. Now for the speed issue you read about all the time, when I built mine I did not care much about speed I just wanted to cut down on me handling the wood so you can make it as fast or as slow as you want just make it so it fits you.
I have 40 acres if woods and I usually cut my wood in 10 foot lengths and when I cut to size I cut them at 20 inchs for my outdoor stove. I have enough different sizes in the wood so I usually try and keep them 8 to 10 in dia. so I don't need to split them. Things that I plan on adding next yeay will an elevator and maybe a live deck. I have about 600.00 dollars in mine as I had most of the metal and hoses.

/ Firewood processor ? #8  
Ivan,

would be interested in seeing pictures of your setup. please post pics.

/ Firewood processor ? #9  
Go to the wood shows and see what they're selling. The simplest and most effective{IMO} are the ones that have the least amount of moving parts. Check out hud-son they have all different styles. A person with machanical skills could copy and built something for their personal needs.