Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8

/ Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8 #1  

MRCONCDID

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 L48 Kubota
I will be the first to say I am cheap, some things I just can't seem to want to pay for or at least not as much as they want for it.
Heres what I did.
I need/wanted a hard canopy.
shopped around and for a alluminum on for 325$ ouch and a tin one for 200$
fiberglass for 400$

I have some skills so I made one for 8$ insted
At the local salvage yard (heaven) I found a
4x4x1/4 road sign made of alluminum paid $6 for it
1- 10ft piece of 1 in round pipe and bent it into a squared-U
1-10ft of 1inch pipe insulation foam and some self tapping screws 2$
welded 2-2 1/4x2 1/4x3 box to my ROPS up and down
slid inside a piece of 2 in about 10in long and drilled for a bolt or pin.
welded 1/8 triangle to the 2in and the round pipe were they met for a gussett
painted and wrapped the round pipe with the insullation and screwed through the sign/insulation into the pipe, the insulation is for any sound or vibration.which I have none!
so now I have a alluminum 4x4 canopy with a steel frame and so far on a trailer I have had it up to 75mph with not problems and it is really tuff on tree limbs too.

side note my sign says "men at work" on it and it faces up the reflective coating should help with the suns heat and you could grind it off if you wanted to. I like having the "men at work" sign just incase the wife thinks Im out playing and not working...again

I have 2 orders for the cheap canopys one for a zero trun and the other for a deere. being cheap is begaining to cost me.

/ Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8
pics are on the way

/ Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8 #5  
Very clever use of recycled materials. I love to see people do stuff like this. :D

here are some pics to better explain

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=143617&stc=1&d=1256571917

Attachments

• IMG00037.jpg
    IMG00037.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 5,452
  • IMG00040.jpg
    IMG00040.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 5,503
  • IMG00038.jpg
    IMG00038.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 891
   / Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8 #7  
Very Nice. I like how clean and simple you made it. No waste or extra's used to get the job done. Congratultions on both your budget and accomplishment.

Eddie

/ Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8 #8  
A good job done .... and a job done good. Way to go.

/ Cheap Canopy , real cheap! $8 #9  
Looks better than you initially described.

I'll bet it really looks great looking down on it!!!

Thanks
for all the compliments this was something I just threw together this summer.The reason for the pins/blots was I wanted to be able to take it on and off quickly, my neighbors is a factory canopy and it uses clamps on the ROPS it takes him about 10 min to get it on and then level it up, mine just drops into the outer square tubing and the blots line it up level, takes about 2minutes on or off. I wasn't sure how high to mount it so I left the inner tubing longer set in the seat and then stood up to piered over the bucket, that told me how high it needed to be not to hit my head and also getting on and off the tractor. once I knew that I drilled the holes for the pins and was done. I have always like making something out of nothing but it still has to look and work like store bought.