She's DONE! - Power Rake Build

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #11  
VERY NICE, okay next question which way does it rotate, if you were standing on the right side....Tractor would be facing towards your left shoulder????

Next question how did it do on leveling?

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #12  
Count me in with the "Dumb Crowd"!!!! Beautiful build........even though I don't know know what it does!!! Ditto's on the custom made moniker decals!! ~Scotty

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #13  
Very nice job on the power rake! I am just in the process of collecting pieces to build my own rake so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. First, how big in diameter is your drum? How wide is the drum? How far apart are your teeth and how long are they? How many teeth in total? I am going to use the same style teeth as you did instead of the carbide tips Harley uses. I am having my teeth lazer cut out of Hardox plate. Thanks, and good job!

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #14  
I love what you did with the rake! You did one heck of a nice job,but I think you really need to add 2 adjustable guage wheels to the back of the unit.Its going to be uncontrollable as far as biting in if you do not put them on.It is difficult to adjust it right the first time,with the rear wheels,I cant see you getting any kind of level surface without them.I have used the Harley T-6 for several years,they are am an amazing tool.If you've never used a harley rake to level out an area or put in a lawn,you dont know what you are missing.These things can turn days of hand raking into an hours work with an experienced operator who knows how to adjust one.I preffer the older harley rakes with the horizontal tooth bars,and twin counter rotating drums,it does a much better job,as it kicks all the rocks back in front of the drum,the newer style with the rubber flap/wiper lets everything thru,you have to rake quite a bit still by hand when using one to put a lawn in.The only downside to the old style is the dry gearbox,and the teeth clog when the ground is wet,you really need to use it when its dry.

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build
VERY NICE, okay next question which way does it rotate, if you were standing on the right side....Tractor would be facing towards your left shoulder????

Next question how did it do on leveling?

Rotation - if you are standing as you mentioned...it would rotate Clockwise.

Because I'm not done, it didnt level too good...well, It worked great, but I know it can be better & easier once I get the gauge wheels.

leveller said:
how big in diameter is your drum? How wide is the drum? How far apart are your teeth and how long are they? How many teeth in total?

Drum Dia: I used 6" pipe so the OD is something like 6.625"

Width: my drum is 75" wide

Tooth Spacing: Very tough to answer that one because its tricky...long story short is they are 5" apart from each other, but the spacing from row to row is funky. I duplicated the Harley tooth setup exactly. Easiest thing I can tell you would be to find a harley somewhere and take pics/measurements yourself so you can see it.

Total Teeth: I cant remember exactly, something like 118 or so...I CAN tell you it took me 9.5 SOLID hours (No breaks except to drink a pepsi and return said pepsi to the earth :D)

Raw Dodge said:
I love what you did with the rake! You did one heck of a nice job,but I think you really need to add 2 adjustable guage wheels to the back of the unit.

Thanks! As for the gauge wheels in my first/original post I mentioned I WILL be making some, I got most of the parts (Wheels, tires, hubs, etc) in the basement, but I was devoting my time to getting the actual rake itself done first. I've got the gauge wheels, End Plates & Rubber Deflector to build...Safe to say the "tough part" is done though... :D

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #16  
Looks great, you make me want to build one now. I have been trying to get one to put on the front of my little B26 but ditchwitch is a little proud of the used one that they have. & with 9+hrs on the drum I understand it didn't seem like it would take that long, I have a grapple to finish and I can only emagine how many hrs it will take me to weld, which makes the purchased one seem cheap but to late now its all tacked.

/ She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #17  
Id love to build one for my SS. Sourcing the correct displacement hydro motor and the frame would be the toughest part....

Id love to build one for my SS. Sourcing the correct displacement hydro motor and the frame would be the toughest part....

The motor is easy....Harley uses the Char-Lynn #109-1117 motor...Surplus Center actually shows it in stock...

I know because in the beginning I was debating going hydraulic drive...I spent 3 months last winter researching what all the OEM's do & use...

Frame...Buy some steel and start welding!

Build Pics:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,462
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 1,870
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 3,968
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 3,017
   / She's DONE! - Power Rake Build #20  
Excellent job!!

I have been debating renting one for years.

I would really like to hear about how it works for you.