New Welding/Shop Table Ideas

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #21  
Dont put the recept in the top. Metal shavings are bad

i wired mine under the edge of the top so its close by but out of harms way

]Leave a lip around the top for clamps

Casters are ok. Just get good ones with brakes or add table brakes to yours. THe inertia of a heavy table will help.

Mines probably 5x6 of 3/8 plate. Plus the legs are heavy wall. I also store all my short steel on the table so im guessing it weighs at least 900 lbs.

I welded several 2" receiver tube around the perimeter to make for modular attachments. My large vise, bender, anvil are all mounted to 2" tube. I can move them around or remove them for storage as needed.

sorry I dont have any good pics on my comp. This is the best i have.

Attachments

• DSCF0449.JPG
    DSCF0449.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCF0493.JPG
    DSCF0493.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 439
   / New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #22  
I got two roll around welding tables and one 5foot x10 foot 1/2
plate.table it stays put .Nice to have more than one.

Attachments

• DSC_1000 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1000 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,451
  • DSC_0122 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0122 (Medium).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,657
  • summer06 104 (Medium).jpg
    summer06 104 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,671
   / New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #23  
I got two roll around welding tables and one 5foot x10 foot 1/2
plate.table it stays put .Nice to have more than one.

Starman, nice BIG shop. Tables look very funtional. I'd like to have similar vices and anvils. I'm assuming that's a cannon you've got there. Tell us about it.

Jay

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #24  
Starman, nice BIG shop. Tables look very funtional. I'd like to have similar vices and anvils. I'm assuming that's a cannon you've got there. Tell us about it.

Jay

Jay its a 20 pounder that was in my shop for engraving of all
its proper markings ,its new and I make it look old for the owner.
Have been re-engraving some big guns ,one the guy had a
armed gaurd to watch over his while I worked on it
it was worth 2 million. No room for any mistakes , takes a lot of
nerves and years of practice I make it look EZ but its trickey.
The photos are of the exploding bullet ,the guy had made ,It's
a rich guys hobby as you can see .

Attachments

• DSC_0150 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0150 (Medium).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC_0146 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0146 (Medium).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC_0116 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0116 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 559
   / New Welding/Shop Table Ideas
Well I didn't get as far as I wanted to but here are some pics so far
IMG00082.jpg

IMG00083.jpg
the first its all tacted and square
the other if finished welded and set up right
next sand it down and add the swing out seat and wire mesh for the shelf then paint it, I will not paint the top

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #26  
Well I didn't get as far as I wanted to but here are some pics so far
View attachment 144231

View attachment 144232
the first its all tacted and square
the other if finished welded and set up right
next sand it down and add the swing out seat and wire mesh for the shelf then paint it, I will not paint the top

looks good so far. Are you going to put casters on it?

Yeah dont paint the top of a welding table for obvious reasons. A sanding disk on a grinder will fix it up nice.

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #27  
One thing no one has mentioned is putting some inverted into a V shape angle on each of the long sides of the table. We do all our fabrication tables this way. handy to hold pipe or angle in for marking or welding. Also gives a good place to clamp your welding ground so the whole table is grounded if you need to. Stitch weld the angle along the top of the vee to the top and bottom edge of the table top. If you want to heavy load it like with a cannon, put some diagonal braces under the angle down to the legs. Depending on the size of your work pieces use 2x2 up to 6x6" angle 1/4 to 3/8" thick. 6x6 angle will hold a 12" or larger pipe safely. We weld 2" pipe under neath to put in some 1.5" pipe standards like trucker use if the pipe gets too large to safely set in the angles so it makes a larger V. You can also build a V shaped piece that can wedge into this pipe to help hold the material steady in the angle or build a fold over pipe vise out of plate and some long thread bolts

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas
could you take a pic of where your angle is in relation to the table I am really lost on your suggestion.
something I want to add to the table is a set of rollers something I can set a piece of tube between them weld as I roll/spin it for a continious bead.
Thanks for all the input:):

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #29  
If you dont want splater stickin to your table spray it with PAM it is allso a good drilling lube and makes carbide blades cut aly like butter

/ New Welding/Shop Table Ideas #30  
You can also build a V shaped piece that can wedge into this pipe to help hold the material steady in the angle or build a fold over pipe vise out of plate and some long thread bolts