Silo blower converted to leaf blower

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #1  

shawn1533

Tractor
MF 1533
After reading several threads I decided to purchase a used Gehl Model 87 silo/forage blower to convert to a 3 point leaf/debris blower. Does anyone have any suggestions, lessons learned, or pictures of a similar conversion they could share? I will post progress pictures of my build when I begin.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #2  
That would be a monster blower! Good luck!

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #3  
I've just built a pto leaf blower for my Mitts 160.I used a old furnace blower,a simple angle iron mount and a shaft I fabbed.It works great,with my 3 speed pto I'm spinning it a little faster then the motor that was with it.I put a small sheet metal shoot to aim the air flow down a little and to the back.The leaves on my road get shot about 20 feet back in the bush,were they belong.I put 6 inch legs on it with quick pins,so it stands off the ground when I remove it from the 3point hitch and some 1/4" screen over the openings to keep the leaves out from the wheel.I've tried to post pic's on this site but can't figure it out,I have posted pic's on yahoos Mitsubishi tractors group,look for Sam's Mitts in muskoka .Build one you will love it ,beats rakeing.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #4  
I've just built a pto leaf blower for my Mitts 160.I used a old furnace blower,a simple angle iron mount and a shaft I fabbed.It works great,with my 3 speed pto I'm spinning it a little faster then the motor that was with it.I put a small sheet metal shoot to aim the air flow down a little and to the back.The leaves on my road get shot about 20 feet back in the bush,were they belong.I put 6 inch legs on it with quick pins,so it stands off the ground when I remove it from the 3point hitch and some 1/4" screen over the openings to keep the leaves out from the wheel.I've tried to post pic's on this site but can't figure it out,I have posted pic's on yahoos Mitsubishi tractors group,look for Sam's Mitts in muskoka .Build one you will love it ,beats rakeing.

That's what I had been planning on doing. Only problem is I need to get the blower first. I'd love to see the picts but haven't yet figured out how to view them.

I spent over an hour outside this afternoon blowing the leaves off my driveway before the rain. I'm tired of it and so are my shoulders!

Maybe I'll make that my winter project!
Keith

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #5  
   / Silo blower converted to leaf blower
I found a slightly used blower at a local equipment dealer for $300 including all the piping for the silo.

I did try the blower as is to verify the operation and force of the fan. It ran surprisingly quite. The blower was making leaves 30+ feet in the tree shake and tremble.

I will be starting the build tonight by removing the feed auger and rotating the exhaust port 90 degrees. I will then cut a more centralized intake hole and weld in a patch over the existing auger intake to the blower. I will then make attachment points on the blower for the 3 point hitch.

Stoweski,

That is exactly why I decided to pull the trigger on the build. Although I have a good back pack blower, my back, knees, and just about everything hurts after cleaning up oak leafs for hours starting in October and ending sometimes around Easter if the snow comes too early.

Srjones;

Thank you for the link. I have read a lot of threads and seen a couple references to similar set-ups but no pictures or descriptions.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #7  
Where do you blow them to?
Maybe the neighbors lawn. (grin)

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #8  
Shawn, thanks for posting. I have been thinking about this too, for leaf blowing AND for stump pile fire accelerating. Of course I'd use several lengths of silo tube to get back from the blast furnace.
Can I ask how much horespower you have to spin the Gehl blower? I assume it is a 540 pto attachment, correct? I know we used 120 hp diesel tractor working at full power to fill silo, but you and I are going to move only air here, so the power requirements must be much less, don't you think?
Keep us posted, please.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #9  
You should be able to work it up with 20 horsepower and a hydro would make it good for small adjustments for optimum performance.

Although that blower is not that big compared to the new farm silo blowers for moving leaves it's going to be about as good as it can get!

For maximum performance settings we used to do pass a dime and toss a nickel!