Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #1  

Jaylegger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2600L
Getting ready for snowblowing this winter I figured I'd be well served to take a few hints from the veterans, ie: get a friggin cab. I recently purchased a Massey Ferguson GC2600 but couldn't justify the approx 5K for an aftermarket cab so began scouring for methods and materials for a diy build. After a few days I stumbled across an aluminum tube product which doesn't require welds or bolts to put together, it relies solely on compression connectors for fabrication of the tubing which served me perfectly as I don't have a welder and with my desire to complete build the myself out-sourcing the welding was not an option either. A significant added bonus to the aluminum product is that it can be ordered with a variety of different flanges or fins built in to hold glass inserts which obviously is beneficial for the intended product. (the fins also act as gussets which strengthen the tubes considerably)

All materials required for the project are off-the-shelf materials requiring no tools other than a grinder, reciprocating saw, hacksaw, and drill and other hand tools to fabricate and assemble.

The primary materials list is:

Black anodized aluminum tubing and connector from: EZ Tube Boltless Construction System, Aluminum Tube, Steel Tube, Storage Products.

Brackets to connect cab to tractor frame are galvanized dock corner brackets. A combination of plexi and safety glass used for glazing. Two 12VDC heaters, a $6 rear utility light and a hand operated wiper fill out the opulant comforts for snow-blowing only afforded with the addition of a cab.

I'm not yet quite finished but here's a few photos of the cab in near done mode. It's a little boxy due to the availability of 90 degree connector only but I think it looks ok none-the-less for between quarter or third of the cost of a dealer sourced aftermarket cab such as Sims or Curtis Cab while providing me with another invaluable project. The sub-compact Massey's are not the easiest to build a cab around, the rear handles require about 6 inches wider than I wanted and the bucket joystick plastic covering was removed to keep the cab as narrow as possible. As is, the joystick movement is curtailed somewhat to the right which prevents quick bucket dumping but I'm only using the cab for snow blowing so this isn't an issue. If I were using the fel with the cab the joystick controls would need to moved which would be as easy as added a few shims where the controls bolt to the frame.

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #2  
Nice job! Nice first post too!

Sure looks boxy as you said but certainly better than my cab that look like this:

Attachments

• Suit.jpg
    Suit.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 491
   / Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600
Thanks. That's a nice suit you got there, far too oem looking to be diy. I was gearing up to go that route but glad I took the other road. Just finished the roof today, half solid opaque and the front half plexi for good above head views. Still remaining is to cut one piece to fit above the rear left wheel fender, seal up the front lower plexi at the hydraulic connections and complete the door latch and pulls. I also need to fabricate a rad intake air restrictor to prevent all the warm cab air being sucked out through the rad.

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #4  
Nice job! Sure, it is a little boxy, but I doubt you'll notice it at speeds under 100 mph.:D

Last edited:
Interesting, I had a few goals when I began the project. Try to keep the cab weight at under 100 pounds, spend no more than 1k, no welding and obtain peak aerodynamic efficiency at 100 mph. After my test ride this afternoon in a stiff breeze it's safe to announce I've failed on all but one of the goals. I caught a gust as I approached upwards of 15mph and with the front is so large the tractor blew over backwards. In reality the cab look quite good, the pictures seem to make it look bigger than it really is plus with the loader or blower on the front the overall proportions look much better. You can't see from the pictures but the anodized tubing I used I was able to obtain a very clean oem quality finish to the structure so I'll have to hang my hat on that for awhile.

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #6  
Jaylegger, at least you have a cab, personally I do not and there are a few times I really wished I did, like trying to keep up with a blizzard before the snow gets too deep, see I don't have a blower either :( Besides you could name it something cute, like the phone booth on wheels :)

A phone booth on wheels, ouch, that was uncalled for.:D This cab can realitvely easily be taken apart so I'm hoping in the not too distant future connectors will be available which provide angles other than 90 degrees I can incorporate into the design.

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #8  
So how much did it cost? It makes it seem posible to put a cab on my yanmar for snow removal.

/ Another DIY Cab...MF GC2600 #9  
I wouldnt mind having something like this.... The bars over the hood would be to save the hood from logs or falling branches.

Attachments

• my%20yanmar cab.JPG
    my%20yanmar cab.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,094
So how much did it cost? It makes it seem posible to put a cab on my yanmar for snow removal.

The aluminum tubing and connectors was around $700 USD, safety glass and plexi about the same. The final pricing for glazing caught me by surprise, I had originally ball parked that cost at around $400, then they saw me coming.

Ordering the tubing in 8' lengths and using more value oriented windows I'm fairly certain you could complete the cab at around 1k. I took a risk with this product as it's strength in this application is yet untested but it's easy no welding DIY fabrication coupled with a clean finish was exactly what I was looking for therefore the risk was acceptable.