Home made trailer dolly?

/ Home made trailer dolly? #1  

zmoz

Silver Member
Tractor
-
I have a lot of things on trailers and vehicles that don't run that need to be moved around in a tight space. Some of them I can push, but some weigh 8,000#+, and I'd rather not. :)

I could buy something like this:
Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler

But I don't like the electric idea, or the price tag. I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to hook up a 5hp small engine (already have an old briggs that runs good laying around) to a truck tire, geared for a top speed of 2-3mph, and end up with something similar. Am I wrong? Anybody ever make anything like that before? Basically a self propelled lawnmower, with some serious grunt.

I was thinking if I use a truck tire I could also use a disc/drum brake for safety. Another idea would be to add a concrete block down low for extra weight and traction. I figure if that electric thing is only 1/4HP I should have a ton to spare with a 5hp engine. :)

/ Home made trailer dolly? #2  
I have a lot of things on trailers and vehicles that don't run that need to be moved around in a tight space. Some of them I can push, but some weigh 8,000#+, and I'd rather not. :)

I could buy something like this:
Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler

But I don't like the electric idea, or the price tag. I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to hook up a 5hp small engine (already have an old briggs that runs good laying around) to a truck tire, geared for a top speed of 2-3mph, and end up with something similar. Am I wrong? Anybody ever make anything like that before? Basically a self propelled lawnmower, with some serious grunt.

I was thinking if I use a truck tire I could also use a disc/drum brake for safety. Another idea would be to add a concrete block down low for extra weight and traction. I figure if that electric thing is only 1/4HP I should have a ton to spare with a 5hp engine. :)

first off i have not made one but i had put some thought into it once
and i dont think you will want to use a truck tire as the trailers tongue needs to be able to go over it for sharp turns and the weight will need to be centered or just behind center, between two smaller tires.
they use electric coz its easy to make it go both ways (forward and back)
you will need a gearbox or something to be able to do that.
i was thinking of using one out of a old very small riding mower (i picked that coz i already had a good one with 3 speeds forward and R that was chain drive
you will still need to gear it down to walking speeds
and adding a concrete block ??
why? the trailer should be more than enough
anyways look here Trailer Tug Pro: The Gas Powered Trailer Mover – Photos & Videos Gallery and you might be able to get ideas for yours
take lots of pic's and post um as you go
hope this helps
gary...

/ Home made trailer dolly?
A lot of good ideas there, I haven't seen a commercial gas one before, I'm sure I can steal a lot of their ideas too. ;) Vertical engine and lawnmower transaxle seems like an interesting idea. I have an old manual trans out of a truck with a granny gear, I wonder if I could even spin that with a 5hp engine? Then I could have 6:1 ish output from the engine forward/reverse/neutral.

The reason for the concrete block is because I want to be able to pull a dead pickup truck that weighs 6,000+ lbs with no tongue weight (tow strap) up a *slight* incline. I realized the need for this when my TOW TRUCK broke down and I had to call another one. *sigh* That way I could get better traction and have better braking ability. (although someone would be in the truck to operate the brakes)

I might also incorporate a winch into this thing, with it chained down or something.

/ Home made trailer dolly? #4  
A lot of good ideas there, I haven't seen a commercial gas one before, I'm sure I can steal a lot of their ideas too. ;) Vertical engine and lawnmower transaxle seems like an interesting idea. I have an old manual trans out of a truck with a granny gear, I wonder if I could even spin that with a 5hp engine? Then I could have 6:1 ish output from the engine forward/reverse/neutral.

The reason for the concrete block is because I want to be able to pull a dead pickup truck that weighs 6,000+ lbs with no tongue weight (tow strap) up a *slight* incline. I realized the need for this when my TOW TRUCK broke down and I had to call another one. *sigh* That way I could get better traction and have better braking ability. (although someone would be in the truck to operate the brakes)

I might also incorporate a winch into this thing, with it chained down or something.

hmmm sounds to me like you need a riding mower with a hitch on the back
about 3 weeks ago i made one that would bolt to the back of my friends J.D. and it will pull a trailer like it was nothing. we had to let some air out of the tires to pull his 89 1ton ford up the driveway
anyways.... make sure you make the part that comes back toward you for the handles, pretty long. for leverage so your not trying to fight it
another idea i was looking into was using a Rototiller
taking the tiller off moving the motor back and installing the ball mount over the tires.
and i'm still thinking of that one.
or at least use the gear box and clutch setup
5hp or even alot bigger would be just fine and that kind of gearing is about what (IMO) you would be looking for

hmmm sounds to me like you need a riding mower with a hitch on the back
Yeah, though I'm trying to take up less space. We'll see what's on craigslist though. ;)

I might buy one of those ~13hp Honda clones for cheap with electric start, I'm liking the idea of the truck trans because it has two PTO connections - one would work for a winch, the other for hydraulics, which I could use as a powerpack for the logsplitter I need to build...

/ Home made trailer dolly? #6  
Yeah, though I'm trying to take up less space. We'll see what's on craigslist though. ;)

I might buy one of those ~13hp Honda clones for cheap with electric start, I'm liking the idea of the truck trans because it has two PTO connections - one would work for a winch, the other for hydraulics, which I could use as a powerpack for the logsplitter I need to build...

It sounds like you're going to end up with a fully functional tractor by the time you get done... PTO, Hydraulics, Weight box (concrete block). There has to be a way to add a FEL :).

I think it could be useful. Like you said, 5 hp is more than enough power. If you do it right, you'll have a tool that is great for multiple uses, but doesn't take up much space.

It sounds like you're going to end up with a fully functional tractor by the time you get done... PTO, Hydraulics, Weight box (concrete block). There has to be a way to add a FEL :).

Yeah, at first I was thinking "small, simple, cheap", now I'm gonna end up with another $2,000 project that takes 5 years and all my space. LOL

Maybe I should just buy a $500 pickup and cut the whole body off? :)

/ Home made trailer dolly? #8  
Find a old Roto Tiller for cheap. I got one for $50. Its a Craftsman that I could take the tines off of and put a heavy caster wheel on the front of like off a bush hog and there you go.

Chris

/ Home made trailer dolly? #9  
Here's an idea... Use a cordless drill for the power source. Lots of torque there. When you're done, unchuck the drill and use it for something else.

Attachments

• 9550.jpg
    9550.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 16,952
   / Home made trailer dolly? #10  
Do you have a picture you can post of the converted roto tiller? I have been looking for a cheap way to move a small RV around. Thanks, groves