Finished Building The Log Arch

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #11  
Wow nice, that's a super advantage over skidding/dragging. Turns that little towwer into a work horse. :)

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #12  
You may discover this as you use your arch, but one modification to consider is to relocate your skidding hooks forward of the axle to provide tongue weight. Size of logs and size of tractor may combine to make this a non-issue, but if you look at an old commercially-manufactured arch from the
1940s -50s you will see the cable roll which supports the weight of the logs is slightly forward of the axle

He's right, mine are about 6 inches ahead of the axle and I have lots of tongue weight, almost too much if you want to unhook the coupler without dropping the wood first. 4 inches might be better.

One other thing, if you have the welder out anyway... I added the tree deflectors in front of the wheels a few months ago after three years without them (see pics in previous post). It makes a huge difference in tight going. No more having the wheels hook behind a tree as you make a corner, the deflectors just shunt the whole arch to one side with no stopping or backing required. If you added a couple stiffeners between the rear legs and the tongue it would give you something to weld the deflectors onto. My 2 cents for what it's worth..

Chilly

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #13  
I built one for my tractor in the early 80' that doubled as a flatbed dump trailer. I figured it would work well for an atv. It works well and is very easy to dump and convert. the bed just sits on dowels on the backside of the arch frame. You can use chains, the tongs, or cable. I figured if I were to do much I would preferr the chains and have a few hooks so sthe winch wouldn't take a beating when pulling.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 785
   / Finished Building The Log Arch #15  
That's a NICE design.. I wish I'd seen that before I built mine. I may have to do some head scratching and redesign work this winter.

Chilly

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #16  
Mine looks similar but without the green paint. In fact I still have not painted it. The week spot on mine has been the tires . I have new wheels and tires rated for much more weight. The maiden voyage popped the tires that I had on it with a 22 ft section of red oak

IMG00174.jpg

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #17  
Nice designs everyone!

Not that I really need another project; however, I think it is time to start designing one.

One thought I had was to first use a chain to choke the log with a couple feet extra. The cable winch would have a grab hook. On the to of the arch would be another grab hook welded on. This way, the winch would only be used for raising and lowering. Once the log is raised the chain would be hung on the top hook as it is being pulled through the woods. Both tractors that I would be using are over 8000lbs.

I would like a Farmi winch, both I don't do enough skidding to justify the purchase. Too many other toys are ahead of it. :rolleyes:

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #18  
Nice designs everyone!

Not that I really need another project; however, I think it is time to start designing one.

One thought I had was to first use a chain to choke the log with a couple feet extra. The cable winch would have a grab hook. On the to of the arch would be another grab hook welded on. This way, the winch would only be used for raising and lowering. Once the log is raised the chain would be hung on the top hook as it is being pulled through the woods. Both tractors that I would be using are over 8000lbs.

I would like a Farmi winch, both I don't do enough skidding to justify the purchase. Too many other toys are ahead of it. :rolleyes:

You may want to weld a piece of angle iron with hanging slots in it as well as the single grab hook. If you have several smaller logs you can haul a full load every time instead of making several trips.

I've had mixed results choking more than one log, sometimes they'll all stay inside the choker, sometimes they don't. Lifting the individuals is easier than a bunch, too.

I'm in the same boat, hard to part with the cash for the winch for maybe 6 cords a year. I made up a skidding frame for 3ph that works pretty good for hauling out smaller wood.

100_3263.jpg

Chilly

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #19  
You drop that frame all the way to the ground and then cinch the logs up to it, so they lift off the ground when you lift the 3pt?

/ Finished Building The Log Arch #20  
Nice rig on the 3ph Chilly.

Another twist, and cheap for me, is to use the quick hitch (iMatch for me) and have a couple grab hooks welded for snubbing up choker chains. Easy to toss the log tongs on the top hook, just keeping due caution to the need for counter weight on the front end.

Attachments

• 4300Logging.jpg
    4300Logging.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 926
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,391