Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 790

Default Finished Building The Log Arch

I just finished building my new log arch. I have a John Deere 790 that can drag bigger logs but with the logging winch on the back the 3 point hitch has about all the weight it can handle. If I try to lift the winch with a good size log attached it is too much weight for the 3 pt hitch. I don't think it will be a problem if the log arch handles the weight of the log. The winch has a hitch for an arch and I will use the arch to drag the log to the mill after winching it out of the woods. I can use a hitch pin to attach the arch to the draw bar of the tractor or add a ball coupler mounted on a 2" receiver to use the arch with the ATV. The 2" coupler will also be used to transport the arch to my cabin on the back of the truck. I built the arch out of 4" x 1/4" tubing with 3/8" plate gussets, the boom is 3" x 1/4" tubing and the hitch is 2" x 1/4" tubing. The wheels are off of a Dodge minivan rear end with 14" tires. I hope to try it out this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished Building The Log Arch-dscn0915.jpg   Finished Building The Log Arch-dscn0924.jpg   Finished Building The Log Arch-dscn0935.jpg   Finished Building The Log Arch-dscn0938.jpg   Finished Building The Log Arch-dscn0941.jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520

Default Re: Finished Building The Log Arch

Very nice looking arch. I purchased one from LogRite a couple of years ago and it looks similar to yours. I really like your winch - getting logs up is sometimes a challenge.

Do you plan to put a set of log tongs or just wrap the cable and hook around the log?

As you bring logs to the sawmill site, you will find the lack of dirt on the logs will make you a very happy sawyer.

Congrats!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Looks nice and sounds like it should be sturdy enough. I like the way you have it figured out; winch the logs out of the trees and then haul them with the arch. Hope the test run goes well.
    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

Very nice Been doing some wood gett'n with my 790. I been chain'n the small end of the log to the rear blade to get some lift. But that arch of yours looks to be the ticket. What brand of log winch do you have? Brother-in-law has a JL 290 farmi log winch that I have played with, Seems to be good pull'n little winch.
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

glh

very nice
    that looks like the one a friend of mine got about a year ago
    but i would say he payed a alot more then you did lol
    great job
    gary...

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Thanks for the replies, I plan to wrap the cable around the log to lift it. I have never used a log arch before and I'll learn as I use it. I may use a choker on the log and lift it with the cable, whatever is easier. The logging winch is a Tajfun and it works well, I am amazed at how much weight it can pull. I built the arch in order to skid the logs easier but not having mud all over the log will be a big bonus, I guess the bandsaw blades will last alot longer.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

You're going to be a lot happier using a chain choker on the log, and a grab hook on the winch cable. No kinks in the cable that way. I built mine for ATV use, I'm considering a bigger one for the tractor now.

Chilly

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Michigan 55A, Foton 254

Looks real nice, I like what you're pulling it with too. The area you are in looks a lot like our back yard.

Tractor
    08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS

Quote Originally Posted by damartin View Post
    I just finished building my new log arch. I have a John Deere 790 that can drag bigger logs but with the logging winch on the back the 3 point hitch has about all the weight it can handle. If I try to lift the winch with a good size log attached it is too much weight for the 3 pt hitch. I don't think it will be a problem if the log arch handles the weight of the log. The winch has a hitch for an arch and I will use the arch to drag the log to the mill after winching it out of the woods. I can use a hitch pin to attach the arch to the draw bar of the tractor or add a ball coupler mounted on a 2" receiver to use the arch with the ATV. The 2" coupler will also be used to transport the arch to my cabin on the back of the truck. I built the arch out of 4" x 1/4" tubing with 3/8" plate gussets, the boom is 3" x 1/4" tubing and the hitch is 2" x 1/4" tubing. The wheels are off of a Dodge minivan rear end with 14" tires. I hope to try it out this weekend.
    Very Slick Setup.

You could run a tubular section on the oppsite diagonal from your brace (ie from the Hitch on the low side to the Arch on the top. on this tube put a sliding ring or yoke. Put the Choke chain thru it. when you pull head, it will automatically slide up the Tube, choking and lifting the log. Seen a Neigbour with one like this.
    Montana 5264 4wd Tractor with FEL

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 850, Ford 1210, Ford 1700, Bobcat 742

You may discover this as you use your arch, but one modification to consider is to relocate your skidding hooks forward of the axle to provide tongue weight. Size of logs and size of tractor may combine to make this a non-issue, but if you look at an old commercially-manufactured arch from the
    1940s -50s you will see the cable roll which supports the weight of the logs is slightly forward of the axle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast