PTO snowblower

/ PTO snowblower #1  

pbbraun

Tractor
Kubota BX 1500
I live in Evergreen Colorado at 8000 feet elevation.

This is my first posting as I have given up on my John Deere 2WD 125 with 46" plow suitcase weights and chains to clear my relatively steep blacktop driveway. Going up hill with ice the wheels spin and sparks fly.

I just purchased 2005 Kubota BX 1500 (4WD) with mower deck and FEL. It has 377 hours on it. I paid $6200 for it and will pay $696 for shipping

I plan to use the FEL to plow snow but would like to think about other options.

It seems to me that with the rear 3Pt and quick hitch you could attach a walk behind self powered snow blower to the tractor. Has anyone tried that?

Also could you use the rear PTO and the quickhitch to mount the blower part of the walk behind 2 stage snow blower to the tractor? I would find a snowblower with a bad engine and remove the engine. One challange here would be to connect the shaft of the snowblower to the PTO.

These options seem too simple to work but who knows.

Would appreciate any suggestions/comments.

This is a great website and really helped me with my BX 1500 purchase.

Bill

/ PTO snowblower #2  
Break down and buy a 48" snowblower for the three point hitch.

/ PTO snowblower #3  
Break down and buy a 48" snowblower for the three point hitch.
+1
I wouldn't try to cobble something up that may or may not work, and would probably hurt me or my tractor, especially when there is already an established, dependable implement available.

/ PTO snowblower #4  
oh geez-:rolleyes: . anything is possible if you have the fab skills. Can it be done? sure why not? will it be safe? I am not sure, depends on how you make it. The question that comes to mind is , whats the current rpm speed the augers run at for said dead blower ? The rear pto runs at 540. DO you need higher speeds ? Since it will be used on a steep blacktop drive, you might want to mount it on the front. The only thing is the mid pto runs 2500 pms.

The other thing I am thinking is that it seems to me that most snowblowers have no real gearings for augers and its just sit in there in metal pocket so I doubt it's gonna last long.

/ PTO snowblower #5  
oh geez-:rolleyes: . anything is possible if you have the fab skills. Can it be done? sure why not? will it be safe? I am not sure, depends on how you make it. The question that comes to mind is , whats the current rpm speed the augers run at for said dead blower ? The rear pto runs at 540. DO you need higher speeds ? Since it will be used on a steep blacktop drive, you might want to mount it on the front. The only thing is the mid pto runs 2500 pms.

The other thing I am thinking is that it seems to me that most snowblowers have no real gearings for augers and its just sit in there in metal pocket so I doubt it's gonna last long.

In addition to the points radioman makes, you would need an adapter of some sort to attach the PTO, and make sure the PTO shaft (which you will also need to come up with) is the right length.

/ PTO snowblower #6  
Yup, I'm sure you could. But I wouldn't, but I did thought about it. I don't think you time would be well invested since I don't think the metal gauge of a push model will suffice on a tractor.

Instead, I would consider a rear blade (I paid 400$ CAD for mine, 6' light duty) until you can afford a real 3 point hitch blower or found a good deal on a used one. Rear blade and a loader is a great combination but sure takes more time when you get allot of snow.

You may also want to consider using tire chains for that steep hill. Not sure if your black top will like this.

/ PTO snowblower #7  
I've thought about it too. The issues I see is the width of most walk behinds is not as wide as a tractors wheels and is the PTO going in the correct direction that the blower would need. I would need 4 feet wide for my little tractor. I put a plow on my Jeep instead, good to be warm with tunes.

/ PTO snowblower #8  
first, the blower would run counter clockwise (based on the blower chasis I just looked at in my garage), second, unlikely you'd find a bucket wide enough, a big walk behind is 36 inches or so, which I bet is to narrow for behind a tractor.

Besides that, I bet it would be easy to rig up.

PTO shaft with knuckle at either end, weld one end to the pulley on the blower and the other end would have standard 6 spline to slide onto tractor pto and then weld up quick frame with angle iron for 3 point.

RPM is a good question on the bucket pulley for the blower. Based on really rough math, 10 inch pulley on bucket and 2 inch pulley on engine shaft would give you around 700 rpm I think at 3500 engine rpm which most walk behind snowblower motors run at full throttle.

Your 540 maybe a tad slow.

Interesting idea, I really think the problem would be width of blower bucket.

Joel

/ PTO snowblower
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with the scraper blade. I appreciate this discussion board and I am sure I will be following it in the future.:)

/ PTO snowblower #10  
PB180136.jpg