Hay Elevator

/ Hay Elevator #1  

bladerunner3

Here's another project in the making, one section of a 16' hay elevator. This was welded up out of 1" square tubing, 1/16" wall. I used a couple magnetic welding squares for all the 90 degree angles. Made the fabrication go a LOT faster. Cold-rolled rod was welded into the two section that will be in the middle of the elevator for added strength. The sections will be compatible and will bolt up to Snowco sections. I have included a photo of the project, and another of a used Snowco elevator. This one sold for $795 used!
Used Equipment for Sale Pg. 1 With all parts and material, and a used 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor, one should be able to build one for only a couple hundred $$.

Attachments

• SNOWCO16FTELEVATOR[1].jpg
    SNOWCO16FTELEVATOR[1].jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,925
  • 7146d25lbsmagnetic.jpg
    7146d25lbsmagnetic.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
   / Hay Elevator #2  
Guess I don't quite understand your project question! If your trying to duplicate the yellow one, you sure look on your way with the fabrication in the other picture. The cost of, Rail chain, Motor, drive chain, pillow blocks, shafts, bearings, sprockets, etc, tend to add up!!! ~Scotty

/ Hay Elevator #4  
I don't see a question ?

Oops! My 'Bad' Willl ! I inferred the question myself, that a guy could put one together "for a couple hundred bucks!" Just sayin', the cost of, Rail chain, Motor, drive chain, pillow blocks, shafts, bearings, sprockets, etc. I think, woud put a guy well over that. It also appears that BR3 is also using new steel. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking build!!! ~Scotty

/ Hay Elevator #5  
I made my own a few years back. I made a jig to hold the rails and spacers in place while welding, Used a tubing bender to make loops on the ends. I had a fab shop bend the upper guide for the chain, I bought the return guides and sprockets from Snowco. For the drive I used a 15 to 1 ratio right angle drive with a 2/3 C-face motor drive. Chain came from Sloan Express. I won't be home for a few days but can get pictures of the drive and tail end if you like.

Dan

/ Hay Elevator #6  
I would like to build some thing similar for carrying up shingle bundles, to a roof guessing one would want a little longer length 20 to 24 foot,, but one could run it steeper for shingles and if you only had two points or even one catch for the shingle bundle would be enough, make a tray to put the shingle on and let the chain come around and catch it. I have just about given up on roofs except for my self. Something about my knees,

/ Hay Elevator
Dan,
What kind of tubing bender did you use for the ends?? Did you bend round tubing or square? Would like to see some pix of your finished product. Thanks!:D

Paul

/ Hay Elevator #8  
Here are a few pictures I took tonight. The bender was one of those you bolt to the floor and has the big arm you pull the tubing around a die. I could not make the end loops in one bend. I made 8 loops, cut them as needed and welded them back together. All 1" tubing.

If I were to build another I would use lighter gauge steel and fewer cross braces. The thing weighs quite a bit. The chain return guides and sprockets came from Snowco. The chain track was bent at a local metal shop. I made a wood jig to hold all the ladder parts square while tack welding. I used the deck on my goose neck trailer for a work table. I think it is 18' long but I can't remember.

The bad thing is there is no belt to slip in case someone gets tangled in the chain.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 2,012
  • IMG_0527.jpg