Mini Dozer - Project near complete

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #111  
Linear actuators are the way to go on something like this for the blade and other odds and ends.

linear actuator from Northern Tool + Equipment

Reasonably cheap and the ones I've bought have been great so far. Got the first one ??? I don't know how long ago but they've not let me down so far.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #113  
You might consider a 12 volt winch to raise and lower the blade like the old Cat dozers used. I ran an old D-7 once. It worked well. The blade was very heavy of course, and the weight supplied the down pressure.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete
Well work continues. I took a broken trailer jack and attached it as a lift. This worked OK but with the weight of the blade it took a little work to lift up. I then added on the other side the trip spring from the lawn tractor snow blade. Once I adjusted things the trailer jack works great and allows me to have down pressure. I have some disassembly, adding supports and painting. I have also included a test run up the driveway. The fixed blade holds a nice grade. Have some ideas for an optional floating setting but will do more testing before then.

Attachments

• 100_2402.jpg
    100_2402.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 4,344
  • 100_2399.jpg
    100_2399.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 2,027
  • 100_2396.jpg
    100_2396.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 1,888
  • 100_2400.jpg
    100_2400.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 1,563
   / Mini Dozer - Project near complete #116  
Nice work. :thumbsup: wish i had one, but maybe some day. But in the mean time, enjoy your new toy. :thumbsup:

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #117  
Great job!

Put the mini dozer to a full work out yesterday. One of my neigbors got 2 loads of fill and we needed to spread them out. Looking at the piles it didn't look bad but you could hardly even get a shovel into it. This was the nasties stuff I have ever seen consisting mostly of clay with some rocks. I had to basically shave the sides of the piles a few inches at a time. And then push the fill over a bank.

We spent over 4 hours working the dozer and my small tractor to move the piles. So what happened.

Problems
1. Threw one track about half way through but noticed I hadn't tighted the track tensioner up to where I planned.
2. The trailer tongue jack work fair. The major problem is when the dozer is pushing, it is difficult to make blade height adjustments.
3. One drive chain loosened and started to POP 3/4's of the way through the project.
4. Drive belt from engine slipped slightly when really pushed and when the track would hold.
5. small stones getting into drive chain.

Solutions.
1. Keep track tension up.
2. Replace trailer tongue jack with linear Actuator
3. Add adjuster to help keep things in place and spring loaded tensioners to help drive chain stay in place.
4. Replace the old drive belt (same one that came with tractor).
5. Build covers for Drive chain.

Looking for some help?
Anyone currently using linear Actuators?
Seems to be two different types - Ball screw and ACME screw drive with the Ball screw having a higher capacity. I see some cheap ones at Northern Tool ( Northern Industrial Linear Actuator — 12 Volt, 11 13/16in. stroke | Lawn + Garden Utility Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment ) at ~$150. I seem some reviews state the two wires are different sizes which has me concerned since I will be lifting the blade with the unit compressing not expanding like most people using as a dump trailer.

Thanks,

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #119  
Down pressure in nice and might be a necessity on a small dozer. Otherwise you can pick up a 1000 lb electric winch for about $60 bucks. All ATV plows and some older Dozers as other persons have indicated use winches. Big question is, how big is the generator\alternator on you engine. Some small engines only have a 3 amp charging system, just enough to top out a small starting battery. A linear actuator needs about 8 amps, so would be better then a winch if you have the small charging system. Come to think of it, I have an acuator off a 10ft satellite dish, its big and heavy, so might have some push?

I currently have a winch sitting in the garage but the blade only weighs 100-150 lbs I suspect it won't do much without some down pressure. The engine is a Kawasaka FB460V with a 13 amp charging system. There is currently a small lawn and garden battery but I think there is space for a larger battery. I would also think that the 12v winch would take as much power as a linear Actuator.