Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Default Re: Mini Dozer - Project near complete

hmm... i just read back and deleted my comment about the slackign chains, at it wasnt the track chain but the motor to track drivechain...

An extra bearing might be good. Just dont use V belts, they are just a pain in the @rse. Old 3 ton JF manure spreaders had a belt driven beater, which was a crappy construction because despite the shields, the belts still would catch a bit of muck, causing them to slip every time. V- belts do work, but they need a lot more tension than a chain. So you'd need more bearings, or a bigger shaft anyways.

I do recommend some extra idlers between those main sprockets, the span force is enormous: just imagine you and your friend spanning a rope horizontally over a 5 yard distance, and your 7 year old kid wants to hang in the middle of it: You would need 10 extra men on each side of the rope to keep your kid off the ground at that span width, let alone pulling it horizontally !! Thats whats happening when you drive over a bump, when the tracks are spanned between two rigid sprockets.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy, needs time !

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by Renze View Post
    hmm... i just read back and deleted my comment about the slackign chains, at it wasnt the track chain but the motor to track drivechain...

An extra bearing might be good. Just dont use V belts, they are just a pain in the @rse. Old 3 ton JF manure spreaders had a belt driven beater, which was a crappy construction because despite the shields, the belts still would catch a bit of muck, causing them to slip every time. V- belts do work, but they need a lot more tension than a chain. So you'd need more bearings, or a bigger shaft anyways.

I do recommend some extra idlers between those main sprockets, the span force is enormous: just imagine you and your friend spanning a rope horizontally over a 5 yard distance, and your 7 year old kid wants to hang in the middle of it: You would need 10 extra men on each side of the rope to keep your kid off the ground at that span width, let alone pulling it horizontally !! Thats whats happening when you drive over a bump, when the tracks are spanned between two rigid sprockets.
    WE built a lot of equipment with cog belting in place of v-belts and chains... seem to work very well... just a thought

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Nice work, almost looks like my Magnatrac mini-dozer.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 1512

Well I found the issue today. It seemed the motor mounts may be fine I bent the sub frame. If you look at the first image "Bend Top view" you can see a arrow pointing out the bend. On the other image "bend and proposed plan" which is a view from behind.

Basically I am onto Version 4.0 and will need to straight the angle iron. Weld on additional reenforcement plates (either 1/4 or 3/8 thick) along the angle iron (See image). Along with some spacers and a additional pillow block.

Well like everything it is a work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bend-top-view-jpg   -bend-proposed-plan-jpg  

Silver Member

When I was a child, I remember the combination of old sprockets and a new chain (or vice versa) on my push bike would always slip for a while under load.

Apparently you are supposed to replace them together and let them wear together.

Are both the chain and pulley new?

Just a thought.

Cheers

Rohan

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 1512

Both are new

Elite Member

Way cool.

It's odd to me that the bend appears to be outward. I would have thought it would bend inward. Maybe you could weld a cross member between the two sides as a stiffener? You're way ahead of me on this one.

Tractor
    BX 24

Workinprogress, I noticed your sprocket is not aligned with the chain. The inner portion of the axle is too high (needs more spacing). Is that disconnected there? Also instead of just welding a piece of plate on the angle to thicken it, it would be a whole lot stronger to weld in a gusset there on the top and bottom of the angle too. That would spread the torsional forces along the cross member of the frame(the length of the gusset) instead of just in that one area.
    -Matt

"There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

"I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

Tractor
    BX 24

Looking at the last two pictures again, the angle of your axle apears to be the whole problem. I think thats what bent the angle. When the axle was tightend against the inner and outer portion of the frame, that's what twisted your frame. The chain is walking off due to the alignment of the sprocket being off. When you get those little bugs worked out... man that thing looks like fun. And to know you built it, such braggin' right man. Cool project.
    -Matt

"There is nothing more exhilarating then being shot at and missed." -Winston Churchhill

"I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds." -Louis Nizer

Tractor
    BX 24

Ok, read your last post again, noticed you're gonna put spacers on the pillow block. You were ahead of me. That things gonna be so much fun.
    -Matt

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast