Mini Dozer - Project near complete

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #1  

workinprogress

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 1512
There was a few earlier threads about mini dozers. I am nearing completion of my project. Basically I took a riding mower with a bad rear axle and built a subframe for it. The sub frame consists of the tracks and hydraulic motor mounts. In the tractor frame I mounted a zturn pump/control unit. The first couple test runs seem fine but I have issue with the rear chain drive tension. Basically the chains from the hydraulic motors to the track jump off. Hope to get it solved this weekend. I will post some additional pictures.

Attachments

• Mini Dozer.jpg
    Mini Dozer.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 18,395
   / Mini Dozer - Project near complete #2  
can't tell from the photo, do you have a chain tensioner on the slack side of the chain?

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #3  
That thing is awsome, I want one.

JB.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete
The hydraulic motors are mounted on a slide so I can tighten the chain up. The Chain is tight when under light use but when I push things the chain loosens up. I think the entire back bracket is flexing and the pillow blocks mounting the track sprockets move slightly. My current thought is to put another pillow block onto the 1 inch shaft so that there is support on the other side of the drive sprocket.

I also added a photo of the sub frame without the track.

Attachments

• Drive picture.jpg
    Drive picture.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 10,940
  • Subframe.jpg
    Subframe.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7,041
   / Mini Dozer - Project near complete #5  
I think every dozer I operate has additional rollers to guide and take up track slack...

Awesome project and very cool!

Yes that is my plan to add additional roller to the track. I just haven't found the right wheels/roller at the right price yet. I am able to put some good tension on the track so in the short term it seems to work ok. The chain I keep throwing is from the hydraulic motor (small sprocket) to the drive sprocket off of the tracks axle.

Here is the hydraulic pump/control and the linkage to the two control levers. The seat and rear fenders are off the tractor. The pump is driven by a belt and it uses the existing belt tensioner system on the tractor.

Attachments

• hydraulic pump and control.jpg
    hydraulic pump and control.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 8,282
   / Mini Dozer - Project near complete #8  
For adjusting the motors up/down do you have a mechanical adjuster(push or pull bolt) or just the slotted motor mounts? Looking at the picture it would be easy to simply drill a hole in the flat below the motor and put a nut and bolt in the hole with the bolt head against the motor housing and the nut against the plate and use this to help hold the motors position.

I would think that if there is no mechanical means of forcefully adjusting/holding the motors position as soon as you put a sizable load on the motor it would simply move the motor down in its mounts.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #9  
That's very creative!!!

I'm impressed with your fabrication skills. Just creating your own tracks must have been quite the challenge.

How does it handle? Do you have many hours driving it around?

Eddie

The motors are just on plate with slotted holes and there is not any mechanical tensioners. I was concerned about that so have been watching it but it doesn't appear they have moved. During the initial setting I put a prey bar below the motor to put tension on the chain as I tighten the mounting bolts up. I do think a bolt or mechanical adjuster would make putting tension on them much easier. It seems the pillow blocks on the track chain have move slightly so hopefully a third pillow block on the drive axle will keep that from moving.