Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift

/ Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
I started another thread about my snow plow project in the custom forum, that thread emphasized the loader being used to lift the plow.

This thread is about the frame mount and the front lift aspect.

Once I got the frame mount and tried the plow on with the loader lift, I realized the plow fit the tractor nicely and would be great to have an independent lift frame mounted on the front.

Both parts of this project were fairly easy, just took a bit of head scratching to keep it simple but effective.

The sub frame is a compact stubby set up that is made up of the original truck part that the plow pinned to. Just welded it to 2 short 1/2" plates bolted to existing frame holes behind the grill guard brackets, there were spacers there already so that was to easy. The plates are fastened with 4 x1/2" G8 bolts in a 4" square pattern.
Reinforced the outer edges with 3/8 plate. I know it looks to simple, with no rearward braces like most sub-frames would have but I think it should OK, I may put a reinforcement pc across the back between the 2 down plates. The sub-frame can stay on as it doesn't interfere with anything including loader attachment.

I'm not new to snow plowing, I had plowed commercially for 20+ years. So I know the forces involved and how things can break, that's where I got most of my welding experience over the years. But this is a 32HP machine traveling at 5-10 MPH down a driveway not a 300 HP truck going 20-30 mph across a parking lot.

The lift assembly is also so simple I'm questioning it's ability to get the job done myself but appears to very sturdy with almost zero deflection of the components when plow is lifted. plus no tools needed!!! I put 2 holes in the mounting plates thru the weight bracket in case fasteners were needed but this thing doesn't move, even driving fast over rough terrain. of course using the loader valve for all functions.

Parts list; upright frame is a 2"x3"x1/4" tube, the lift arm is a 2x2 thick wall also, a couple of pcs of 3/8 plate, a TSC lift cylinder and a 1/2 bolt.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN6076.JPG
    DSCN6076.JPG
    855.7 KB · Views: 1,949
  • DSCN6077.JPG
    DSCN6077.JPG
    869.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • DSCN6173.JPG
    DSCN6173.JPG
    914.8 KB · Views: 1,582
  • DSCN6222.JPG
    DSCN6222.JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 2,602
Last edited:
   / Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift
Some more pics,

Can go from the front loader to an independent front plow hook-up in the time it takes to swap 4 hydraulic lines, install 2 push pins and hang a chain on a grab hook. Hands will get a little dirty from the hyd fluid but no tools required!!!

Cost around $400. more than half of that just for Hydraulic lines and paint. had the plow already.

Don't be shy to point out any weakness's you see in this set-up, it can only help me to get it right before the snow flies.

Thanks, JB.

Attachments

• DSCN6221.JPG
    DSCN6221.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN6231.JPG
    DSCN6231.JPG
    890.2 KB · Views: 1,165
  • DSCN6217.jpg
    DSCN6217.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 2,110
  • DSCN6190.JPG
    DSCN6190.JPG
    991 KB · Views: 1,034
   / Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift #3  
Looks nice!

It could use some stacking stops and a crossover releif valve.

Looks nice!

It could use some stacking stops and a crossover relief valve.

What are stacking stops? Something to prevent the plow from raising to high and hitting the cylinder?

If so that's a good idea and would eliminate the need for the limiter chain I had to fix to the weight bracket when I was lifting it with the loader.

As far as the relief valve, I've never had one before on my old plows but I hear all the talk about them now.

I've shown this pic before of a loader mounted plow that could of benefited from some relief!

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN6084.JPG
    DSCN6084.JPG
    999.4 KB · Views: 1,800
  • DSCN2267.JPG
    DSCN2267.JPG
    993.1 KB · Views: 1,680
  • DSCN2269.JPG
    DSCN2269.JPG
    990.1 KB · Views: 1,366
I did not know they were called stacking stops. Learned the need for these the hard way!
View attachment 145778

I can't tell by your picture is there damage there? At first I thought your mast was bent but I see you made it curved.

I'm working on my stops right now it's gonna kill 3 birds with 1 stone, I'll post some pics when finished.

JB.

/ Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift #8  
I can't tell by your picture is there damage there? At first I thought your mast was bent but I see you made it curved.
JB.
No, damage was done 20 years ago when this plow and frame was on my JD650. I didn't know what I didn't know when I made the frame and blade 20 years ago, all was good until I ran the blade up high on a snow pile.

/ Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift #9  
Re: crossover relief valve

As the name suggests, the design is a relief valve that has 4 ports.
L and RT in plus L and RT out.
If ,say, the RT is subjected to excessive pressure, the valve opens and dumps the fluid into the left side circuit.
Each circuit has its own valve (adjustable) and dumps over to the other circuit.

However, this only protects the extended corner of the plow (like bumping up to a brick wall or curb).
Since the retracted (closest blade corner to the vehicle) side is already tucked in close, it has nowhere to go and the vehicle still gets the brunt of the shock load.
So, driving along curling snow off to the right side (curb side) and catching a curb will offer no protection.
Plowing snow AWAY from a curb WILL offer protection if you catch a curb.

I don't see the value of a crossover relief on rural/farm applications as the protection is rather limited.
City paved and curbed parking lots I could see, or situations that call for total 'down to the pavement curbed drives'-OK.

/ Snow plow, Frame mount, Front lift #10  
Looks good to me. Problem I see using the loader for lift is loss of visibility. I think you'll like it much better this way.