Homemade Skid steer log splitter

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #11  
Raw dodge- This is a pretty fine set-up. Why did you mount the unit so far from the attachment plate? Visibility?

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #12  
Nice build,

You have about 58,905 lbs or 29.45 tons of force.

I can almost bet that 35T splitter your friend has is not a true 35T. Manufactures like to inflate those figures for sales purpose.

In order to get that figure, the cyl would have to be around 5.5 in bore, at 3000, and if that is used with a two stage pump, the max pressure is around 2500 psi, and would be less.

So you have him beat all around, and you should have a faster split speed/cycle time

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #13  
Those 37 ton log splitter they advertise, using a two stage pump, is in fact only about 25 ton.

They call it 37 ton peak. What peak. Where is the extra coming from, on a clear day maybe. Not.

5 in at 2500 psi = 49,087 or 24.54 ton

How can they straight out lie so good?

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #14  
I hate to be the one to point this out, but this thread is abou 1-1/2 years old, and raw dodge hasnt been online for about 3 months.

And While I agree that Mfg's like to inflate #'s most of the time, unless you actually put a pressure guage on the splitter, you are just guessing.

We put one on out huskee 27 ton with 4.5" cylinder. We knew we needed at least 3400psi to make the 27 ton mark. Lo an behold, we hit 3500psi out of the barns 11gpm 2-stage.:thumbsup: 27.81 Tons of force.

That same pump is used on the 22T splitters with a 4" cylinder. 3500PSI would put it right @ 21.98 Tons, so their right on their.

On a 5" cylinder, it would be about 34.38 Tons. So the MFG's were a little closer when they were calling them 35T splitters. To get to 37T, they would need about 3770PSI.

The point of all this is simple. If in doubt, put a guage on it. Frankly the 3500PSI suprised me. But it proved that we do indeed have a 27T splitter.

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #16  

No misprint, we got 3500psi out of it. But that is only 500psi over the rated MAX. They list the GPM rating on the second stage @ 2500PSI but they also list the MAX psi @ 3000, NOT 2500.

But for what its worth, when splitting a log, rarley IF EVER will it even see that. Even if it was a 5000psi pump, it is only going to develop enough pressure to get the work done.

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter #17  
any splitter is better the a 8lb mall i get about 90 95 lb psi :laughing:

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter
I'm still here and i check in,spend most of my time in the ventrac and ford forums..,i get busy and dont have time for the internet except for stuff i have to do,not fun stuff like coming here ;).Just a note on my splitters pressure,the machines relief valve hits at 3335 psi,not 3000psi,and i dont think ive ever hit it....nothing to stop it yet...and to answer the question on why such a long beam,because im loading my dump trailer with it directly,and it makes visibility much better when splitting vertically,id be looking at the back of the attachment plate if it was shorter...im very glad its this long,its worked out great and it still easily fits in the bed of my pickup,so when i transport the ,machine with the grapple on it i lift the splitter into the bed of the truck with the grapple and load up and go.i just finished using the splitter hard for a week here,ill put some pics up soon...my boys use the splitter more than me i preffer to do the cutting.

/ Homemade Skid steer log splitter
Here's a few pictures from this season's wood gathering... I admit it I cheat a little, using my two and a half yard loader to take out the big trees and we hand load its bucket with anything that doesn't need to be split, it then goes right in the trailer while the caterpillar walks on breaking down the big stuff it goes pretty quick with just me and my 2 boys. With a pair of 372 XP s, one of them ported, bucking logs goes pretty quick too

ForumRunner_20141110_134918.png

ForumRunner_20141110_134934.png

ForumRunner_20141110_135055.png