Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homemade Skid steer log splitter

I built a splitter for my skid steer last summer,and I figured Id put the pictures up here for everyone to see.I wanted a splitter that would split the big stuff into manageable pieces,I dont need to split wood down to firewood size as I dont split below 12" wood.Also I figured if I could split as I load my dump trailer,it may save a little time..I built a very simple one,its pretty heavy,so heavy the ford 1910's loader can barley lift it onto a trailer.I figure it weighs 800-1000lbs,you barley know its on the skid steer.I used a 5" prince 3000PSI cylinder I bought from Northern tool,also got a 12" tall wedge from them as well.I secured a beam from a local source a friend at a structural supply house,its 6x8 28 lbs per foot.Lucky for me,my brother owns a flowjet,and he cut out several pieces for me,including the push beam,and the cylinder mounts.It took me about 2 weeks in my spare time to build after work,and one saturday.I have a good supply of scrap steel around,so I used it,I bought a SS plate off of Ebay pretty cheap,and went from there. I got about 800.00 into it and my time....pics to follow...
    Cat 246 SS,Homemade 35T log splitter,2004 Ventrac 4231G various attachments...2005 Dixie chopper XXWD5000, 2001 Dixie Chopper XW2500-60

Default Re: Homemade Skid steer log splitter

Here are various pics in the building stages.Nothing fancy involved,just heavy steel,7018,some 6011,6013 and my Hobart/Onan 18HP welder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter1.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter2.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter3.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter4.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter5.jpg  

Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter6.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter7.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter8.jpg  
    Cat 246 SS,Homemade 35T log splitter,2004 Ventrac 4231G various attachments...2005 Dixie chopper XXWD5000, 2001 Dixie Chopper XW2500-60

A few more pics,Ill post pics after paint next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter9.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter10.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter11.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter12.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter13.jpg  

Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter14.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter15brace.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter16.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter17.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter18.jpg  

Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter19.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter20.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter21.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter22.jpg  

Some more after finished. This thing works better than I had hoped for.It isso strong it can actually sheer most trees under a foot in diameter,then i can pick them up with it,and drag them where i want.Im glad i built it very heavy duty,as the exact tonnage is unknown,but it is noticably stronger than my friends 35T Husky...and it splits 42" oak rounds like nothing.It also picks them right up and splits things where you want.....I may in the future add a pivot to the 4" main beam,so i can tuen it up striagh and use it like a regular splitter.Of course id need to add a return valve and different lines....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Skid steer log splitter-copy-woodshed-boiler-072.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-064.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-065.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-066.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-067.jpg  

Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-068.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-069.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-woodshed-boiler-070.jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Very nicely done.

Thank you! Here is a few more of me "abusing" the splitter. It always ends up happening,I find another use for something.The splitter makes a great tree sheer for smaller trees,this past winter,i sheered a bunch of trees,and got them thru 9"-12" of snow to the wood boiler area and never even had to get out of the skid steer! Most of this was partially blown down locust,uprooted after hurricane floyd in 99.Cutting with a chainsaw was to risky for me,with the trees under pressure lean on other trees,and the deep snow.I felt it safer to simply sheer them from the distance and safety of the cab of the Cat.It worked great,then i grabbed them and got them out of the woods as well.Im not sure how much weight i had ,but i know i was picking up 1000+lb trees easily.Good thing I overbuilt the main beam and push plate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter23.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter24.jpg   Homemade Skid steer log splitter-splitter25.jpg  

Tractor
    JD 790

Nice job, and thanks again for the advice on my DIY splitter. I'm on the coast of Oregon so firewood is not so serious as in your snow country. That's a stout looking rig.

Flowjet water cutting _ very cool. My dad worked for Flow International. I have some goodies from the Washington plant and some stock. No cutter_ but I wish.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Very cool but that is cheating not have to wreck your back picking up the wood.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Very cool but that is cheating not have to wreck your back picking up the wood.

Chris
    It sure is! I picked up a 52" oak round and split it easily,recently..

Bronze Member

Clever setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast