Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Default Re: show your homemade splitter pics here

Quote Originally Posted by GuglioLS View Post
    So I take it you liked the flying log vid?

"It shouldnt be a very pretty weld" - Well that should be easy LOL

Great advise, instead of a crappy weld how about a 6"X6" square chunk of expanded metal welded to the pusher face ?

Larry
    Great idea Larry. .

If you look at my splitter I added 2 pieces of 5/16" key stock to the foot to keep the logs from flying.

Also curious if you did the welding with your wire welder? I tacked everything on mine and did all the finish welding on non crucial parts with my Hobart 187 but had the crucial stuff done by a welding shop. I was surprised to see him use a stick welder on this.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -log-splitter-004-jpg  

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by smfcpacfp View Post
    Built this 30 years ago:

That thing is a beast!

Chris

Tractor
    Jinma 354, Ford 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I like it, nice addition. I started out with a 12" wedge then added two pieces of heavy angle iron. I always wanted to add wings to the one I built but never got around to it, it's a good idea.
    Notice the ax mark on the wedge? This happened just before I added the angle iron to the wedge. I had a block of wood stuck on the wedge and tried to remove it with my ax, live and learn.
    Attachment 146273
    I often wondered what the effects would be on splitting adding those angle iron pieces to the wedge like yours? You may have noticed the type of wood I have has a tendency to fly apart with just the 1" thick wedge I have now, so you might understand me not doing that just yet. Your splitter and wedge look heavy duty, nice work on that.

"Notice the ax mark on the wedge?"
    I saw that and wondered if you add a tick mark for every severed appendages so I figured I better not ask I've had a few logs "stick" but never thought of taking an Axe to my splitter. That was quick thinking on your part

"but never got around to it"
    OK here ya go......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -aroundtuit-jpg  
    My Fortune cookies:
    If you have to ask if you can do something, you probably can't.
    Life is short, especially if you forget to wake up the next day.
    He who hurries wastes time.
    If you must select between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before.
    Tractor hydraulics is not rocket science.

I got lucky and found a used American TMH 30 for a very good price. Good thing, two because I have split over 35 cord in the last 14 months, 24 in the last 6 alone. Thank gawd for a four way wedge!

Tractor
    Jinma 354, Ford 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Great idea Larry. .

If you look at my splitter I added 2 pieces of 5/16" key stock to the foot to keep the logs from flying.

Also curious if you did the welding with your wire welder? I tacked everything on mine and did all the finish welding on non crucial parts with my Hobart 187 but had the crucial stuff done by a welding shop. I was surprised to see him use a stick welder on this.

Chris
    Thanks Chris,
    I like the anti slip key stock add on, that came out clean. Looks like your in the process of adding a ramp of some sorts? What's it's purpose? Almost looks like a conveyor could be added in that area to become a full fledged wood processor.

"Also curious if you did the welding with your wire welder? " - I stick welded everything simply because it was built before owing my "glue gun". Not to start a Stick vs MIG war, I've done plenty of both. IMHO stick (depending on rod, amps, technique, ground placement) can penetrate deeper. But that's really not the point. MIG could have easily been used with no compromise in strength. Had I owned the MIG at the time that's what I would have used simply because (for me) it's allot easier with no slag to chip off.

Larry
    My Fortune cookies:
    If you have to ask if you can do something, you probably can't.
    Life is short, especially if you forget to wake up the next day.
    He who hurries wastes time.
    If you must select between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before.
    Tractor hydraulics is not rocket science.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by GuglioLS View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    I like the anti slip key stock add on, that came out clean. Looks like your in the process of adding a ramp of some sorts? What's it's purpose? Almost looks like a conveyor could be added in that area to become a full fledged wood processor.

Larry
    Larry if you are talking about the piece of plywood, its simply a table to catch the wood. I stand on the opposite side and run the valve with my left hand and catch half the log with my right. The table catches the left side piece.

As for the angle iron flares, mine work great to open up the wood. My wood never pops. I do sharpen my wedge with a file so its razor sharp. This really helped with the popping.

Chris

Tractor
    JD 790

Chris, My push plate assembly is welded. Shouldn't need to remove it but could torch it off in a couple of minutes if I had to.

Wedge flare:
    It appears to me that the narrow wedge section works well to initiate the split; then the wide section (welded angle) does a good job of pushing the already split wood fully apart. I think some pieces would need more push distance (time) to fully come apart without the wide wedge section.

Plate friction:
    I did something similar to the welded dogs... by welding a bead along the top of the push plate surface. I think it helps keep the wood from sliding but probably not as much as squarely cut wood.

Cylinder length:
    I'm glad that I matched the cylinder length to the length of wood that I cut. There's very little wasted lag time.

Nice splitters! I did a lot of thred searching during my build. Thanks all

Tractor
    Case 8116 Skidsteer

More pictures for those of you who can't get enough. It only took me about 15 years to finish it. We move twice before it was done. It's been working well for about 8 or 10 years now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_1517_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1518_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1519_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1520_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1521_-1024_x_768-jpg  

-100_1522_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1523_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1524_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1525_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1526_-1024_x_768-jpg  

-100_1527_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1528_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1529_-1024_x_768-jpg   -100_1530_-1024_x_768-jpg  
    Daaaad, can you fix this?

Nice splitters guys!
    Cat 246 SS,Homemade 35T log splitter,2004 Ventrac 4231G various attachments...2005 Dixie chopper XXWD5000, 2001 Dixie Chopper XW2500-60

andymil

What type and gpm pump are you using? You splitter looks great.
    A real man builds it... Then his wife shows him what he did wrong.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast