show your homemade splitter pics here

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #31  
andymil

What type and gpm pump are you using? You splitter looks great.

Very nice Andy.

Also what side of the system did you put your filter on? It looks like the suction side. If you look at most made today they are on the return side to prevent cavitation to the pump. Just something to think about.

Chris

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #32  
DSC_0001.jpg

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #33  
That is a beast. Its a new magic splitter. No hoses.:D

I like the hitch tube on the rear. Thinking ahead. Smart.

Chris

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #34  
Chris,

The pump is a two stage pump from Northern Tool. I can't remember if it is the 11 gpm or the 13 gpm. The motor is only 5 hp. I made the pump mount. I must have got pretty close because I haven't had to replace the spider in the three jaw coupling. The valve also came from Northern Tool.
It has the return detent that pops off when the cylinder retracts.

Yes the filter is on the suction side but it is very large and I haven't had any problems with cavitation yet.

Andy

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #35  
dngspot,

Sorry, I saw Chris' post but not yours. I checked the pump, it's 11gpm,
Northern tool item # 1012.

Andy

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #36  
This is my 3 pt Wood Splitter which was assembled with part from Central Tractor and power by a Prince PTO pump. . Which I have used for about 25 years, the latest modification is the crane and log tong power lift.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 2,261
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 2,125
   / show your homemade splitter pics here
This is my 3 pt Wood Splitter which was assembled with part from Central Tractor and power by a Prince PTO pump. . Which I have used for about 25 years, the latest modification is the crane and log tong power lift.

n444,
Ihave just built a crane for mine[with a set of northern tongs],that i havent really tested.My question for you is do you have to tap the tongs into the wood to get it to stay before you get enough pressure to really grab the log?
Could you post a few more pics of the crane and mabey a few action shots/
ALAN

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #38  
So I take it you liked the flying log vid? :eek:

"It shouldnt be a very pretty weld" - Well that should be easy LOL

Great advise, instead of a crappy weld how about a 6"X6" square chunk of expanded metal welded to the pusher face ?

Larry

heee hee -- anyways that would work too. :p

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #39  
hi guy's.. not quite a splitter (don't have pics of the smaller ones we've built) i was bored last winter and built this one...

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 1,790
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 2,126
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #40  
hi guy's.. not quite a splitter (don't have pics of the smaller ones we've built) i was bored last winter and built this one...

That's way cool! Nice job! Do you have more photos of it that you can post? I'd love to see how the log feeder works.

Where did you purchase the chainsaw? How large of a diameter log will this cut?