show your homemade splitter pics here

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #61  
I'm a self-taught hobby welder and this is the first major fabrication project I've taken on. I worked strictly off of photos, memory and reading a lot of the fabrication threads here and elsewhere.

It still needs a good paint job and a few modifications/tweaks. My intent was to use as much recycled material as possible. The only purchased items are the valve, cylinder, hoses, wheels/tires, pump and eventually the engine. I had a scrapped 5.5 HP mower engine that I brought back to life but it had an accident while I was away from the project for a few weeks... Gas tank was cracked and engine was leaking oil... Who knows what happened?

The ram carrier/wedge are built from steel I found laying in the street several years ago! I stuck it in my garage and pulled it when I started the project.
I incorporated a lot of small items from my late father's tool chest (nuts, bolts, washers, pins) and used his wrenches and sockets. I had plenty of new stuff, and my own tools; I did it mainly as a tribute to him.

I had picked up this 6.5 chinese clone on sale at Harbor Freight a while bvack and still had it in the box, so I cut off the old engine mount and re-built it to accept the pump and hydraulics. It sat quite a bit higher, so I had to cut the 4x4 square tube down by about 5 inches so the pump would clear the I-beam. I'm running an 11gpm two-stage pump, Prince valve, Prince 4x24 cylinder. It cycles around 14 seconds; not blazing fast, but plenty of power. I don't have a ton of wood to split ,so I'm in no hurry. I enjoy running the machine and seeing the fruits of my labor (and frustration!) I can split up to 23 inch logs although I keep most of mine around 18-20. The blade stops just less than a 1/2 inch from the base plate, and the angle iron wings I put on the wedge do a pretty good job of splitting the logs by then.

I still have a pesky leak from the reservoir/axle where I must have had a pinhole when I welded the end caps on to the square tube. The base plate has developed a slight bend in it - it may be a bit "tall" for the knotty oak I've been splittin'... In any case, I can use it either horizontal/vertical and I made the tongue where I could remove it for storing the machine away in my garage and still have room for my daughter's car. I also built a removable table to handle the splits, but I had it off during the pics.

I have picked up quite a few tips and tricks from reading a lot of the posts and I plan to make a few changes to it after seeing some of the pics in this thread. It's been a lot of fun building this thing; now. I just need to track down some oak for next years logs!

Attachments

• DSC00766.jpg
    DSC00766.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 1,154
  • DSC00767.jpg
    DSC00767.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 644
  • DSC00771.jpg
    DSC00771.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC00775.jpg
    DSC00775.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 736
  • DSC00777.jpg
    DSC00777.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC00769.jpg
    DSC00769.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC00776.jpg
    DSC00776.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #62  
Swat-Nice work there! I'm getting ready to start my log splitter project so I have a few questions for you. The parts you did buy, where did you get them from? And how many gallons does your tube hold? thanks!

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #63  
it's got two seasons on it now, and about 10 cord split. it was made all new hydraulic parts, but a lot of used and leftover steel pieces. i didnt have a lot of the fabrication equipment i have now, so when i get the time, i will be tweaking a few things - mostly cosmetic. it works great as a splitter for a single operator, but if you have a crew, it would be a little on the slow side.

moto_0163.jpg

moto_0173.jpg

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #64  
Here is my splitter under construction, big beam, adjustable wedge, log lift. I have a Honda 13 hp engine, 5 x 24 prince cylinder, 22 gpm pump, 25 gallon reservior. Need two more small cylinders, one for the lift and one for the wedge, need control valves, hoses, fittings and the know how to put it all together. No plans, just winging it [/IMG]
DSCF2001.jpg
DSCF2008.jpg
P1010675.jpg
DSCF2003.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
P1010674.jpg
P1010676.jpg
P1010678.jpg
DSCF1999.jpg

Last edited:
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #65  
Somebody has got them a fancy cuttin machine.

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #66  
Joe14, is your operator station where the sloped-up tubing ends? You're going to like the heck out of the outfeed tables. Just make sure you can get to the pieces you want to re-split. Actually maybe you don't cut anything this won't turn into the size you want with that wedge.
I like the stand-up-straight position, too. Which side is the engine/pump setup going on? I think getting it away from where you are is a benefit.
Is the wedge cylinder going on the back side of the whole wedge unit on pins?
I find I like some fine control on the log lift, so you can set a few rounds on at one time and hold them there waiting their turn. I had to slow mine down (2x8 cyl) with restrictors.
Sorry for the third degree - I just like the way you have this set up.
Jim

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #67  
Joe14, is your operator station where the sloped-up tubing ends? You're going to like the heck out of the outfeed tables. Just make sure you can get to the pieces you want to re-split. Actually maybe you don't cut anything this won't turn into the size you want with that wedge.
I like the stand-up-straight position, too. Which side is the engine/pump setup going on? I think getting it away from where you are is a benefit.
Is the wedge cylinder going on the back side of the whole wedge unit on pins?
I find I like some fine control on the log lift, so you can set a few rounds on at one time and hold them there waiting their turn. I had to slow mine down (2x8 cyl) with restrictors.
Sorry for the third degree - I just like the way you have this set up.
Jim

Hi jimmysisson, the two sloped-up tubes will support a plate that catches the log rounds that will roll down the lift. I have not decided where the operator's control valves will be, either the forward end of the platform next to the sloped tubes, or mounted on the end of the sloped tubes.
The top of the beam is 35 inches from the ground, so no bending over.
The engine/pump combo will go on the opposite platform from the operator as far away as possible.
The hydraulic cylinder will be suspended on pins between the push plate and the fixed welded end.
Still need to buy a cylinder for the log lift and one for the adjustable wedge, and control valves for both. My welding skills suck, I can weld horizontally all right, but I can not seem to get the verticle or yet to try the overhead. I'm building the whole thing with a sawzall, stick welder and a hand held drill. I have no knowledge of hydraulics, other than what I read or see on the net. I'm always interested in opinions or ideas and viewing what others have completed. Like I said, no plans, just building it as I go.
Joe
DSCF2002.jpg
DSCF2006.jpg
P1010683.jpg

Last edited:
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #69  
Nice splitters guys. Didn't build this one found it for sale for a great price. 16inch tall wedge with 6inch cyl. , log lift and an automotive A/C compressor added to fill an air tank. Definitely an older build with alot of scrap material used, but the builder put some thought into it and it works very well Please excuse the dirty weathered look and poor pics. Just got it and wanted to share.

Attachments

• image-641867184.png
    image-641867184.png
    901.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • image-1303821869.png
    image-1303821869.png
    870 KB · Views: 566
  • image-2543910186.png
    image-2543910186.png
    863.5 KB · Views: 637
  • image-3952269584.png
    image-3952269584.png
    885.4 KB · Views: 561
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #70  
swat253
I like your axle reservoir idea. May try that.

Cpjlube
What a monster.