show your homemade splitter pics here

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Thought it would be nice to group our pics togeather here,to give others ideas.Ienjoy looking at the different designs.
HERES MINE;
This old girl has been a work in progress for 15 years.Im always changing something:Dguess i like to fabricate.Most recent was the direct mounting of the pump to the old BRIGGS.WASNT EAST BECAUSE THIS MOTOR HAD NO HOLES to mount the NORTHERN adapter to.Ihad to make a faceplate and it had to be perfect so the halves aligned properly.Im experimenting with a homemade crane for the large rounds,although im still waiting for a set of lifting tongs to arrive.WILLpost more on that when it arrives
This splitter is towed through the woods with an ATV.The wood falls off the back.Ibuilt a taller pusher than i had when you last saw it so i can split certain sized ones in half,slide it backon and split it again [as in pic 1]
Ihave a northern 2 stage pump,northern tank,northern filter,Automatic return dent valve.Its a very old 5 horse briggs [think it even has points:)]but it always runs good.Wheels are from an old boat trailer.
Who knows if i see something i like for designs in this thread i got plenty of gas in my cuttin torches:D:D:D
alan

Attachments

• 100_2884.jpg
    100_2884.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 3,754
  • 100_2886.jpg
    100_2886.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 3,087
  • 100_2880.jpg
    100_2880.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 3,075
  • 100_2887.jpg
    100_2887.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 5,726
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #2  
Here is mine. I built it 5 years ago after not being able to find what I wanted. I spent a weekend with paper, camera, and a tape measure taking notes off of splitters sold at 4 or 5 different stores around me. I ordered the wedge off Northern Tool and got all the hydro stuff from my local Rural King. I built it so 2 guys can work around it coming off the tractor long ways. I made it so it can be used horizontal or vertical although I have probably used it 99% of the time horizontal. I did all the fab work and tacked it all up. I had a local welding shop do the final welds on anything that the hydraulic cylinder touched. I did the rest of the welding with my Hobart 187.

As you can see I made it so you can remove the wedge and put in the shop press adapter and killed 2 birds with one stone now having a shop press. I also did not take the time making a 3 point attachment for it since I had already made a 3 point trailer hitch I had taken off a Ford Explorer/Ranger. All together I have about $450 in it including the welding but have seen items have really gone up. The cylinder I got on sale for $89 and the valve was $59. They now are over $175 for the cylinder and about $100 for the valve plus we all know what has happened to steel.

It has split about 5 ricks per year for the last 5 years.

Chris

Attachments

• log splitter 005.jpg
    log splitter 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,359
  • log splitter 004.jpg
    log splitter 004.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,721
  • log splitter 003.jpg
    log splitter 003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,661
  • log splitter 002.jpg
    log splitter 002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4,371
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #3  
More pics.

Chris

Attachments

• logsplitter.jpg
    logsplitter.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,350
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #6  
Mine was designed around the "available bits" notion and required a few modifications between the first version and the current one, mainly to reinforce the vertical arm carrying the wedge. Initially, the forces were enough to break the weld and bend the steel section. The shape and mounting of the wedge also was modified to stop rubbish from accumulating.

The engine is an old 5.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton, The ram was second hand from a contractor at the airport - no idea of its original purpose. The pump, control valves and lines are new.

Performance is adequate for splitting my own firewood and was never intended for high volume. The logs in the trailer (see picture) are typically 15" diameter Eucalyptus and are really hard after drying for a year of more. The 5.5 Hp engine really needs to be replaced by something bigger but the manual control lever allows me to ease off the pressure until the engine recovers the revs, then a second burst usually finished the job.

Attachments

• HARD-wood.jpg
    HARD-wood.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • logsplitter_uralla_version.jpg
    logsplitter_uralla_version.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 3,505
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #7  
This is how I get set up when I split wood with 2 people. If I do it by myself, I well cut for awhile then split for awhile. I hual the logs in from the woods and do everything here. Not much bending over. I made the splitter in 1980 or 81.

Attachments

• Ag. Stuff 016a.jpg
    Ag. Stuff 016a.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,798
  • Ag. Stuff 024a.jpg
    Ag. Stuff 024a.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 3,987
  • Ag. Stuff 037a.jpg
    Ag. Stuff 037a.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 3,486
   / show your homemade splitter pics here #8  
This is how I get set up when I split wood with 2 people. If I do it by myself, I well cut for awhile then split for awhile. I hual the logs in from the woods and do everything here. Not much bending over. I made the splitter in 1980 or 81.

I like your pto set up. how fast do you need to run the engine? are you using a single or dual stage pump?
Rob

/ show your homemade splitter pics here #9  
I run around 1200 rpm and if I feel like working a little faster I go up to 1500 rpm. Its a single stage pump and I think without looking it up, it is pumping something around 18 gpm. I do know it well out split one with a 6 or 8 Hp motor and 2 stage pump.